My Raku Kiln

I'm wondering why an electric kiln doesn't shut off when you open the lid more than an inch. Could you imagine your dryer running after you opened the door?

I will actually keep the dryer running, if I need to snag something out of it. I just quickly press the switch, as I open the door.

Guest JBaymore

How many amps is the standard electric kiln?

For a continuous load... whatever amperage the breaker it is on is rated at. SO for a largetr electric kiln ...... maybe 30 to 50 amps.

I am not precissely sure what an instantaneous peak current load would be on such a household breaker though. Meaning if for a nanosecond or a millisecond it'd pass a far higher current level until it actually activated. I'm guessing it would. But that is pure guesswork.

208 or 220 Volts at 30 Amps through your body would NOT be a good thing. :blink:

http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/safety/electrical/TheFatalCurrent.html

best,

...............john

How many amps is the standard electric kiln?

For a continuous load... whatever amperage the breaker it is on is rated at. SO for a largetr electric kiln ...... maybe 30 to 50 amps.

I am not precissely sure what an instantaneous peak current load would be on such a household breaker though. Meaning if for a nanosecond or a millisecond it'd pass a far higher current level until it actually activated. I'm guessing it would. But that is pure guesswork.

208 or 220 Volts at 30 Amps through your body would NOT be a good thing. :blink:

http://engineering.d...talCurrent.html

best,

...............john

I wouldn't say so, considering, that what, .6 milliamps across the heart will kill a person?

I'm wondering why an electric kiln doesn't shut off when you open the lid more than an inch. Could you imagine your dryer running after you opened the door?

Both of my electric kilns shut off when you open the lid, the older one can't be opened without turning off the supply and the newer one has a switch at the hinge which will shut it down when opened.

I know nothing of dryers. :D

Both of my electric kilns shut off when you open the lid, the older one can't be opened without turning off the supply and the newer one has a switch at the hinge which will shut it down when opened.

I know nothing of dryers. :D

Dryers are like kilns, but take waaaaaaaaay longer to dry clothes.

Whoa! How did that feel, and what did it do to you?

I've been shocked by lower voltage on a couple occasions, and it was unpleasant. One time, i was trying to fix a digital camera, and kept getting zapped, because the flash capacitor would automatically recharge after each picture. So there was no way to discharge it permanently.

it knocked me on my butt, luckily. The alternative is that it would have seized my muscles not allowing me to release the punty and my partner would have had to knock me off of it with a 2x4. I got really, really lucky.

Archived