Kiln suggestions for newbie

Hi all,

After years of hand-building at the local community college, my husband is getting me a kiln for my birthday (along with necessary rewiring in the attached heated garage)!

You'll notice I joined this forum a year ago, and despite a year's worth of research, I remain pretty confused as to the best choice for a kiln, it was going to be my bday present LAST year.

I don't build anything larger than a gallon-jug and am not interested in making a living at it, I just like to make gifts for friends and family - wind chimes, chess-pieces, bowls, vases, pretty basic stuff.

I'm not looking for anyone to make my decision for me, but if you could help me narrow it down to maybe three models/manufacturers I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

L&L has a guide to help determine what type of kiln you might need . . . I'm sure Paragon and other manufacturers also have them. http://www.hotkilns.com/choose-size

What temperature do you plan to fire to? Low-fire/earthenware, mid-fire/cone 6 stoneware and porcelain, high-fire/cone 10? That will determine what recommendations we could suggest. Could range from a test kiln-size unit to something a bit bigger.

L&L has a guide to help determine what type of kiln you might need . . . I'm sure Paragon and other manufacturers also have them. http://www.hotkilns.com/choose-size

What temperature do you plan to fire to? Low-fire/earthenware, mid-fire/cone 6 stoneware and porcelain, high-fire/cone 10? That will determine what recommendations we could suggest. Could range from a test kiln-size unit to something a bit bigger.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm comfortable in low to mid fire, but have done a couple of porcelain pieces at the college and LOVED them, so if price isn't enormously different, I think I'd like the option to "grow into" more work at high-fire temps... I'll check the link you included, and L&L as well, thanks...

Do you have a local supplier? someplace not horribly far away? a place you can build a relationship with? Only a fellow newbie's take, but if you do and they are more comfortable with brand "x", take that into consideration. I just bought a new one a few months ago. Before I walked into my supplier I was leaning one way. When I walked out, I leaned the other, and I'm very happy.

D

Do you have a local supplier? someplace not horribly far away? a place you can build a relationship with? Only a fellow newbie's take, but if you do and they are more comfortable with brand "x", take that into consideration. I just bought a new one a few months ago. Before I walked into my supplier I was leaning one way. When I walked out, I leaned the other, and I'm very happy.

D

Thanks Darla. That's good to hear. I haven't found a local kiln supplier yet, perhaps I should make that my first order of business...

Most clay retail shops have a bulletin board with 'things for sale' posted on them. Good, used wheels, kilns, etc can be found there. As a 'newbie,' don't buy on your own; get some help from that clay shop, the local college, etc. Or Neil, right here. . .biggrin.gif

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me. I'm an L&L distributor and kiln repair tech.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the kind offer. I'm in Farmington Hills MI (Zip Code is 48336), do we have any shops that carry L & L around here? I've got to be using the wrong search terms, all I'm coming up with are internet based companies, but nothing local. No local clay either. Makes me feel pretty incompetent, I gotta say....

Archived