Clay cats from the 1960's?

I recently received an e-mail from a friend I made at a dinner party regarding ceramic cats. I am hoping someone here may be able to offer insight as to the origin of these cats, who made them and from what materials etc. Additionally if there were a way she could find them for sale. An excerpt of the email follows, she and I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on the subject.

My sister and I independently (meaning we were not aware that we were both looking, until recently) have been searching for an exterior house decoration that we recall from our childhood. We would like to buy some cat (ceramics?) that people used to adorn their house with in the 1960's. They are quite kitschy on par with gnomes and pink flamingos. But, as child I just loved seeing those corny cat figures stuck on the sides of houses! Ask your folks if they remember them. I live in a 1950's ranch so they would look right at home.

We have looked on ebay, I looked at ceramic greenware and on internet in general & have come up with nothing. The closest thing I have found is this: from the UK. http://catsinyork.com/cat-directory/

The ones that are "climbing" are similar to what we are looking for. Have you seen any like it? Can you imagine how they could be made to be sturdy enough to stay outdoors in the elements (except maybe in winter?)

I recently received an e-mail from a friend I made at a dinner party regarding ceramic cats. I am hoping someone here may be able to offer insight as to the origin of these cats, who made them and from what materials etc. Additionally if there were a way she could find them for sale. An excerpt of the email follows, she and I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on the subject.

My sister and I independently (meaning we were not aware that we were both looking, until recently) have been searching for an exterior house decoration that we recall from our childhood. We would like to buy some cat (ceramics?) that people used to adorn their house with in the 1960's. They are quite kitschy on par with gnomes and pink flamingos. But, as child I just loved seeing those corny cat figures stuck on the sides of houses! Ask your folks if they remember them. I live in a 1950's ranch so they would look right at home.

We have looked on ebay, I looked at ceramic greenware and on internet in general & have come up with nothing. The closest thing I have found is this: from the UK. http://catsinyork.com/cat-directory/

The ones that are "climbing" are similar to what we are looking for. Have you seen any like it? Can you imagine how they could be made to be sturdy enough to stay outdoors in the elements (except maybe in winter?)

I remember ceramics cats on houses from the 1950's. they were generally slinking across a roof. I have seen some that appeared to be climbing a wall but that never looked like something a real cat would or could do. They were slip cast, generally glazed solid black or white. As I remember they were long haired with "fur" texture.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Have you tried www.winstanleycats.uk.com - I visited the pottery just recently in North Walsham near Cromer, UK. They post internationally and have a long established reputation going back to the 60's. Hope this is of help - do look at their website, it's fab.

Best wishes,

Mel

• 7 years later...

The other responder is correct in saying these are Camark cats.  The article she referred to is very interesting and informative.  I have only recently taken quite an interest in these cats and have been lucky enough to buy 6 of them in various colors and sizes.  I found several on eBay, one on Etsy and one on OfferUp.  There is presently one still available on eBay but has no whiskers and costs $100 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Camark-Pottery-Kitty-Cat-Wall-Tree-Climber-White-Green-Eyes-16-No-Whiskers/274051942935?hash=item3fcec4ca17:g:QVgAAOSwP9FdCUdS

I think the price is a bit too high.  If you keep an eye out, and are patient, I’m sure more will get posted for sale.  A short while ago, there were as many as 6 on eBay at the same time.  Just keep checking and have fun with it!  I love the ones I bought and have them hung on several walls of my house and enjoy looking at them everyday!

happy hunting!

joan

Archived