How can a kiln be wired wrong?

Someone told me that a kiln was burning through too many elements because "the electrician had incorrectly wired the kiln". They couldn't tell me exactly how. It is a kiln with a plug.

I want to know what exactly what type of electrician mistake(s) could cause this type of problem. (it was not the wrong type plug or under gauged wire or too low amps at fuse box )

Incorrect gauge wiring up to kiln, our incorrect gauge from control box. plug wires crossed on plug (220 or 3 phase?) Also element and relay wires could easily be crossed to

Or a high amp kiln (like 48 amps)shouldn't even have a plug should be a hard wired so that is another possibility for incorrect wiring

What type kiln is it? Amps, phase, voltage?

Someone told me that a kiln was burning through too many elements because "the electrician had incorrectly wired the kiln". They couldn't tell me exactly how. It is a kiln with a plug.

Perhaps a 208 volt kiln was connected to a 240 volt circuit. Sometimes the voltage changes from one circuit to another even within the same building, especially in schools. A kiln may have been moved to a room that had 240 volts.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I agree with Arnold. The kiln itself is not wired wrong if the elements are burning out too quickly. 208 volt elements on 240 volt service will burn them out faster. When you need elements, check the service voltage and order the appropriate elements. Don't go by what the serial plate on the kiln says. Changing a 208 volt kiln to 240 volts is just a matter of switching elements.

Archived