Firing of pots with cracks made with Sodium Silicate

So the first piece came out of the kiln yesterday. I'm somewhat satisfied with the results so far. The colors are as sharply defined as I could possibly have hoped. Next time I'll use gosh on the rim as well, and glaze the interior of the pot with something a lot darker.

The shape isn't that exciting, so I'll have to work on that going forward.

gallery_65534_859_51092.jpg

gallery_65534_859_65709.jpg

The other piece I mentioned in the last post went into a million pieces during the bisque firing. Furthermore I fell off my bike, and hurt my hand, so I won't be throwing anything before next week atleast :(

Oh, and yeah, when I wrote about throwing with one hand, I of course meant during the bellying out of the cylinder, having applied the sodium silicate.

post-1954-0-36754900-1421782264_thumb.jpgwelcome, PRankin.
Nice crackle surface. And Mouten, nice cracks on the greenware. It is a fun thing do.Here are some I did recently. Not bisqued yet. (in the kiln!)
the one on the right is just beaten then stretched. The one on the left is beaten, soldium silicate applied and then stretched. One handed throwing is a challenge!
The second image on the right is one of my favorites of obvara and was in the "History in the making" show in Rochester, NY. Pieces used historical techniques or reflected on ancient images, etc.
The third is larger, about 11" a richer coloration from obvara.I really find it fascinating how the clay makes those spiral lines. Your bowl is a good example of the equal spacing of the patterns.
Marcia

post-1954-0-75056600-1421806312_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-21266700-1421807082_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-36754900-1421782264_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-75056600-1421806312_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-21266700-1421807082_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Mouten and Marcia, your work is beautiful. I agree that the biggest challenge with this technique is throwing with just one hand on the inside of the piece. The push needs to be gentle enough to stretch the cylinder but not too forceful to make it uneven and bulgy.

Paul R.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome, Evelyne.. I'm just (re)scratching the surface re: this area of art. The brush work was done during the greenware stage with a black slip after I had stretched the form. I tried to fully describe my experience/process on the Wordpress blog.

I intend to get around to the profile and sharing via the gallery as time permits. In short; I'm a media arts professional that has re-found the ceramic arts as a part-time passion. Hope to contribute more in the future.

https://mudchucker.wordpress.com/

Archived