Ocarina What fun

Kabe

I accidentlly stumbled upon the article "from clay to music" on the Ceramic daily page. boy am I in trouble. I saw some clay flutes in Mexico years ago, even bought one,but didn't know how to make them. Now I do. I'm like a kid with my first recorder, much to my wifes distress and displeasure. I got one that sounds pretty good to me.It survived the bisk load and I was making like the Pied Piper tooting a tune by the kiln and a fellow clay monger said " That would sound great out in the woods" my wife agrees a long way out in the woods. Far far away. I just wondered how many other clay people have been bitten by the clay flute bug and how long does it last? Is there an end? What amount of clay noise makers does it take to satisfy the itch. I'm at number 4 now and I can see a whole line of them waiting in the depths of my mind screeming to be heard. Different shapes and forms and animals and sticks and "God help me!!!! Make it stop!!!! Somebody please help me. They are so much fun to turn into little sculptures. Little noisy sculptures. Is there hope? Ain't clay Fun! Kabe

Kabe I have never been bitten by the flute bug even when I had to make them in school, but I do have an idea that might help. My son is a percussionist and had found these African drums called Udu and wanted me to make one for him. The cheapest ones were 50.00 and were cast and the price went up to 1000.00 for hand made decorative Udu's. They make a softer soothing sound than the flute, we made several together before he lost interest in it. There is plenty of info on the internet on these, there is Udo.com that has a video show how to make them. Maybe you'll get the Udu flu to get over the flute bug. Denice

Gee thanks. trade one obsession for another. Can't wait to look them up. !!!!! COMING SOON!!!!! Woodwind and percussion instruments for the asking. Sent your blank check to ....... I'll fill in the rest. I would be more than glad to make a decorative Udu for maybe even less than 1000.00. Hard choice to make, don't want to sell yourself short. I might combine them into one insturment, where you can blow and tap with one hand and cover the holes in the Ocarina with the other, an Uduocarina. Thank you I will probably have to try to make one. ain't Clay fun Kabe

Several of my students began making Udu drums last semester. They had a good jam session one day in the studio. One student is still making them. Our percussion faculty gave a performance at the Historical museum a few months ago and played a variety of drums. They sounded great..

Marcia

Gee thanks. trade one obsession for another. Can't wait to look them up. !!!!! COMING SOON!!!!! Woodwind and percussion instruments for the asking. Sent your blank check to ....... I'll fill in the rest. I would be more than glad to make a decorative Udu for maybe even less than 1000.00. Hard choice to make, don't want to sell yourself short. I might combine them into one insturment, where you can blow and tap with one hand and cover the holes in the Ocarina with the other, an Uduocarina. Thank you I will probably have to try to make one. ain't Clay fun Kabe

a "fludute?"

Archived