Something breeding in reclaim bucket

Not sure if this is the right forum as it doesn't seem to really fit into any of them. I went in to the build guild yesterday and noticed something breeding in the reclaim bucket! I don't know what it is or what to do about it. At first glance I thought "why are there tadpoles in the reclaim?!" But they clearly aren't tadpoles, aand whatever they are, there's ALLOT.  Do I have have to dispose of all this reclaim? Can I just scoop and skim them all out off the top and carry on as usual? I clearly need to start keeping it covered. I'm just so confused!

20190813_152017.jpg

My first thought is mosquito larvae.  I had some breeding once in a vase where I was rooting something.  Yech.  I don't know what you can put in there that won't upset the clay, but I'm sure someone on this forum knows exactly what you should do.  Maybe it's the sacrifice needed so the bell rings true after it's  cast... oh wait, wrong  folk tale.  

Insect larvae of some sort.  Looks like mosquito to me. Get a cheap turkey baster (dollar store version) and suction out the water and larvae all the way down to the clay level.  Your reclaim should be fine.  To prevent in the future, either add a few drops of bleach to the bucket or keep it covered.  Reclaim will smell worse if covered.   You don't need extra water in the reclaim bucket, so just use the turkey baster as needed to remove the water at the top after the clay settles-just have it become part of the opening procedure at your facility.

Better than finding dead mice. Depending on your stance on live bugs vs dead rodents, of course.

I’d remove them physically and find a loose lid. I just use a big wooden bat on my reclaim bin. It breathes well enough, and I try not to let the slop get too out of control before dealing with it. 

Archived