Making Decals using HP Laser Jet Printers with toner made by Laser Cartridge Pllus

Am looking for suggestions on BEST PRACTICES for creating b & w    decals.

I have found the maker of the toner containing iron and the printer(s) which use this toner cartridge.

(Thanks for Community Formum...thank you!)

Now, I need suggestions on best  medium (special paper) to use in printing.  Wondering about

different companies that are perhaps making this product.  Also cost.  Currently I use a company to print my artwork

and they are GREAT.  The downside is there is a minimum order size.  I want to make one of a kind artwork.

Thanks so much.  Clay Lily

The paper is a whole other story from the toner. 

Are you wanting to use a tissue transfer method or to make waterslide decals?

If you wish to use the tissue transfer method that works better on a bisque surface, a roll of rice paper from amazon cut to fit your printer and a bottle of orange cleaner or wintergreen oil can be had for under $40. 

Waterslide decal paper is currently a complicated issue if you live in the US. The drama is covered here. 

If you live outside the US, as a Canadian I can send you information via DM on waterslide decal paper sources, but I can’t post it openly for reasons in this other thread. 

Callie...............thank you.  Now I am in the floundering stage because tissue paper  vs the sturdier transfer paper that I was familier with (but never tried) 

is in my head.  Sounds like the tissue is the answer for now unless I send the artwork out to a professional company.  They do a great job but require buying a minimum purchase and I am looking to have the option of single images.

I will continue to read your overview again....am "floundering" thru the first read.  Again thanks.

A few thIngs worth nothing without having to read that whole thread:

1) the tissue for tissue transfers is more like a Japanese long fibre rice paper. It's actually kind of hard to tear, even when it's wet. It's very durable, just thin and flexible. 

2) You can still get the water slide transfer paper from the company who is taking out the patent in the US. It will be more expensive than it was from other suppliers, but it is available. 

Much of the controversy comes from the fact that she doubled the price of the stuff over other suppliers, and because she's shutting down everyone who had a website or workshop teaching the process, which was in widespread use before she began her legal actions.

Lots of waterslide decal paper out there now, direct from China from people who don't care about patents.  I suppose that's what happens when you try to corner a market these days.  Aliexpress, amazon, eBay, etc all have the decal paper.  You'll have to hunt a little for a brand you like though.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, shaku1969 said:

Are you able to produce black decal   what is the final color after firing .........black or sepia      and temperature you fire

Like Liam said, it's sepia or a rusty color, fire to 05.  And just know that it can change the color of the original glaze.  

Archived