Advice on early 70's Brent wheel splash pan

I have a Brent wheel which I think is from the early 70's. Amaco/Brent saw photos and said it's either a CK or CX. The splash pan doesn't stay on while I'm throwing--I've been told this is a common problem with Brent wheels before they added the flange. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a splash pan to stay on? Some modification? I'd like to be able to lean against it while throwing. 

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

The early Brent wheels are made with a flat steel deck-then covered in a sheet of formica. The deck is flat no plastic flange around the edge that holds water in. Those wqheels came with a sheet metal splash pan. I bought one in 1970 so I have seen and worked with one. They do not have that modern flange under the wheel head bearing as well. Brent wheels also came in two size wheel heads-one is 12 inch the other is 14 inch.My guess is you have an older smaller pans-call Brent and see if this is the case.A new pan will snap together and work but it also will float around the wheel head as its got nothing to hold it down.Its annoyin g at best. I eventually got a new wheelhead and fully as they are all different from the old stuff. I suggest you you use one of those cheaper  pans that are simi disposable s that are mentioned in some older threads here.Use the search function on main page to find that info.

On second thought I think all Brent splash pans fit 14 inch wheel heads and have always been that way.

Archived