Clay Poll--people's favorite cone 6 and 10 bodies

MFP

Thank you Denice for your input. Mark also had some criticisms of B Mix as well---uneven drying being among them.  Nothing could be worse than this Coleman Raku.  Every single pot I have thrown with it with a bottom over 4 inches wide has cracked......even drying it slowly under plastic literally for weeks.  It has so much grog that when the slip is wiped away, it literally does not have enough clay to hold it together.  The porcelain I have been throwing isn't as fussy!  Fortunately Kyle is going to take it back and exchange if for a cone 6 porcelain he has that so far has not done anything weird. I will look at that Laguna clay you recommended. 

My preferred mid-fire porcelain is Cool Ice (milled in Australia; the only U.S. supplier is Seatle Pottery-gorgeous body. I like  Standard's 621 Troy wood fire ^10 for throwing and Sheffield's "Z" for handbuilding.  I do not care for the generally popular B-Mix or Little Loafers. Been using Bella's Blend for a fairly "true" multi-range 05-6 & Buncombe White  ^6 , both from Highwater. 

From Standard Ceramics, over the years I have used the S112, S225, S211, and the S630. Love them all for their characteristics. I used the S112 when teaching at the HS, but then when buying my own bought the S225, as this allowed me the same basic clay, but not a problem with someone thinking I was double dipping. Both of those clays were great for beginners and more advanced learners like myself. Then I decided to try the darker S211 which is a hazelnut brown, worked with that last few years, and went to a white with it, the S630.  S211 throws really well, and has nice body, does not slurry up, but will stain almost anything from clothes to towels, to other clays.

The jury is still out on the S630, it seems to sludge up fast, leaving a lot in my bucket. I am not so fond of throwing with slurry, and this stuff slurries up real fast. other than that, it throws well, holds up to multiple freezings, and can be hand recycled. I am on the last few boxes bought two years ago in #2000 order from Pittsburgh.

best,

Pres

Thank you very much Pres for your response!  Pittsburgh!?!? My home town--kind of......lived in Sewickley.  But loved all the things Pittsburgh had to offer. 

All I know at this point is I absolutely HATE the Coleman Raku body.....which I returned today to exchange for more Oregon White cone 6 porcelain from Clay Art Center.  

Compared to what was available in the past....all these new bodies are "throwable" compared to what I was used to.  I find it ironic that I am finding the porcelain bodies easier to deal with in many respects than stoneware. Not ready to switch over though. Old habits die hard.

Thank you again ( also retired, not dead). 

Archived