Sign in to follow this  
Nelly

Oxide storage

Nelly    16

Dear All,

I am just unpacking my new box from Tucker's. I asked them to send me an assortment of oxides to use with the two glazes I have chosen.

Are there any oxides that must be stored in containers where the light will not get at them or am I fine to put them in small preserve with the name carefully identified?

Nelly

Mark C.    1,807

(Are there any oxides that must be stored in containers where the light will not get at them )

None that I know of.

Mark

Nelly    16

(Are there any oxides that must be stored in containers where the light will not get at them )

None that I know of.

Mark

Dear Mark,

Thanks so much. I will go ahead with my storage plans (i.e., preserve bottles).

Nelly

TJR    359

Nellie;

You probably want something with a tight fitting lid like those gallon ice cream pails you see every where. I tend to go with plastic containers because of the risk of breakage if they fall off a shelf. I am finding now that plastic degrades over time and becomes brittle. I also like containers that are the same size for some reason, but this is not important.

TJR.

Mark C.    1,807

I like TJR use plastic containers for breakage issues-I use gallon screw top plastic jars but any tight fitting lid container will work

I have had mine for many decades now.Glass is just to risky for my studio.

I would hate to have a jar of 10#s of cobalt oxide break

Mark

melbrandle    0

If you want to play extra safe, just black out the preserve jars with black paint while keeping them properly labelled. I reckon that that way you don't have to spend too much on other storage containers but still get some bit of [rotection from external light