Hey, I'm relocating from London to Vancouver. I'm currently a member at Turning Earth ceramics studio in London which has been fantastic- open access, technicians on hand and glazes provided etc. 

I've been searching high and low for something similar in Vancouver but so far had no luck.

Would anybody have any advice on membership to a studio in Vancouver where I can make ceramics? Or would anybody be interested in renting a space with me and starting a ceramics studio?

Thanks!

Helena

If you are moving to Vancouver BC then as far as I'm aware of it is very difficult to get into a studio like what you describe at Turning Earth. The way most people get studio time is through a Community Centre. They all have different rules about who can use the drop in studio time but in general if you take a class you can put your name on the drop in list. Some will be wait listed as there is a shortage of places to do ceramics in Vancouver. Here is an example, Dunbar and other communities within Vancouver have similar programs.

Real estate is very, very expensive in Vancouver BC, I think this is why it isn't profitable for private studios to rent out space and it's left for the Community Centres to fill the need.

If you meant Vancouver Washington, I don't know what is available.

3 minutes ago, Min said:

If you are moving to Vancouver BC then as far as I'm aware of it is very difficult to get into a studio like what you describe at Turning Earth. The way most people get studio time is through a Community Centre. They all have different rules about who can use the drop in studio time but in general if you take a class you can put your name on the drop in list. Some will be wait listed as there is a shortage of places to do ceramics in Vancouver. Here is an example, Dunbar and other communities within Vancouver have similar programs.

Real estate is very, very expensive in Vancouver BC, I think this is why it isn't profitable for private studios to rent out space and it's left for the Community Centres to fill the need.

If you meant Vancouver Washington, I don't know what is available.

https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/pottery-ceramics.aspx 

Looks like there are three community centers in the city with studios and their open studio time is all day Wednesdays.  I'm sure there are plenty of private studios but you'd likely need to contact them individually.  A good place to start would be the BC guild. https://www.galleryofbcceramics.com/membership-form

Good luck!

Archived