Nova kiln model P

Claypot

I have the opportunity to purchase a small electric kiln branded as "Nova P" does anybody know anything about this kiln or where I can get information on it please? My intention would be to use it for small pieces for bisque firing and perhaps for mid-fire glaze firings.

Are you sure the kiln is model P, or is that the model of the sitter? There should be a serial plate on the kiln that says model, voltage, phase, etc.

There is little to no information about Nova kilns on the internet. Someone on the forum had one a couple of years ago, and it was a funky little thing with elements embedded in the fiber walls. My general recommendation is to avoid kilns that are no longer made unless you're sure you can get parts for them. 

I posted the picture of the NOVA kiln.  There is no way to gradually turn up the temperature.   It's the type of kiln that is plugged into a regular outlet, and was probably intended for glass fusing and china painting.  I only use it reheat pieces for horsehair raku and like the fact that the elements are covered. I use a sight cone system to determine temp.

I don't think it would be practical for bisque.   I've never glazed anything in this kiln.

Mine only cost $25 so I thought it would worth having for some of my experiments.  

The picture of the kiln is in my gallery. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2018 at 12:14 AM, karenkstudio said:

I posted the picture of the NOVA kiln.  There is no way to gradually turn up the temperature.   It's the type of kiln that is plugged into a regular outlet, and was probably intended for glass fusing and china painting.  I only use it reheat pieces for horsehair raku and like the fact that the elements are covered. I use a sight cone system to determine temp.

I don't think it would be practical for bisque.   I've never glazed anything in this kiln.

Mine only cost $25 so I thought it would worth having for some of my experiments.  

The picture of the kiln is in my gallery. 

Hi,  karenkstudio. Thank you for your response. I like your idea of using it to  heat pots for horsehair firing.  Apologies for not responding sooner.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:46 PM, neilestrick said:

Are you sure the kiln is model P, or is that the model of the sitter? There should be a serial plate on the kiln that says model, voltage, phase, etc.

There is little to no information about Nova kilns on the internet. Someone on the forum had one a couple of years ago, and it was a funky little thing with elements embedded in the fiber walls. My general recommendation is to avoid kilns that are no longer made unless you're sure you can get parts for them. 

Good advice. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Hi Karin, did you buy the kiln? Last year I bought a Nova  Model KL22320 and I have the operating instructions and parts list.  You can have a copy if you are interested. I have never used my kiln.  I've just started a pottery class, I'm guessing my little kiln might not be suitable for pottery.  I'm interested though in the "horse hair" firing.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've somehow fell into making porcelain dolls  I'm just starting out an have all the supplies but one thing I didn't have was a kiln I finally got one it's a small one but hoping it will work.its a nova kiln . im improvising of course cuz im on a low budget I have a bisque  piece  firing as we speak cross ur fingers pray this works I wanted to add pics but it wont let me for some reason.all i can do is share my experience hope i get positive  feed back or help someone else.

• 1 year later...