Mimic Large kiln operation with small test kiln?

GreyBird

Hi, I just got a smallParagon test kiln... Yippy!!!
The thing is it has a computer controller and I've never used one. My large kiln just uses a kiln sitter. How do I mimic the Kiln sitter temp rise with the small test kiln? Do I just set it to cone 6 and let it run?

Thanks,
-M

You should be able to enter a ramp rate the same as your other kiln i.e. if you were firing at a specified fmrise in temp/ hr in your old kiln you will be able to enter that rate and finishing temp in your new.  Download a manual or ring Paragon.

You can easily set a cone fire that will cause a temperature rise similar to your manual kiln. The hard part is matching the cooling down from your other kiln. The big kilns cool much more slowly than a little test kiln, and often (especially for matte glazes) it is the slower rate of cooling that creates the glaze surface.  As Babs suggests, read the manual to learn the standard preprogrammed ramp rate up to your desired cone and then program a custom ramp that mimics that on the way up with a final ramp of 300F per hour back down to 1800F. That should be similar to the cooling rate of your main kiln.

I suggest that you start testing a matte glaze  that you routinely use in your "regular" kiln and  that have examples to be used as a standard.  Adjust the cooling cycle to get the test kiln to produce the same effects as your "standard" from your regular kiln.  This cooling cycle for the test kiln should then become your SOP test kiln cooling program.   

LT

Well, it's official. The large kiln cools at approx. 100° per hour. I've been tracking it on and off since 4am when it was at  1,600° then at 5am it was 1450° then I fell asleep until 10am and it was at 950° and at 11am... 900°. This is going to be a loooong wait. it always is.

Archived