Black Glaze

I'm working on a low fire project with black glaze and would like to add details with other colors - on top of the

low fire glaze. these details are representational -- no running...

Is there a way to glaze the whole thing black with lowfire glazes and then add the colored details on top of

the black glaze. Not sure if overglazes would do this - but dont want to buy overglazes.

Can i do this with slip or stains.

I have added stains with a clear glaze on top of other glazes - but i think the black glaze as a layer wont work...

Any thoughts??????

You are basically talking about a majolica technique; painting on top of another unfired non-moving glaze. The first step to success is to make sure your black glaze does not move; it will usually be a satin or matte black like Duncan Satin Glaze SN366 Black or Duncan Designer Glazes DG203 Carbon Chiffon. Since it is very difficult to get color on top of black, you'll want to use a very opaque product to paint your design on. I have done this with low fire ceramics before and used a combination of Duncan French Dimensions combined with a Duncan Concept color. Mix about half and half or proportions to get a brushable consistency. The French Dimensions are a stand up lining glaze that is opaque and comes in a squeeze bottle. By adding Duncan Concepts to it, you can achieve a brushable product with enough opacity to cover black. You may need two coats. Definitely run some test tiles to determine what is best for the look and colors you want to achieve.

You are basically talking about a majolica technique; painting on top of another unfired non-moving glaze. The first step to success is to make sure your black glaze does not move; it will usually be a satin or matte black like Duncan Satin Glaze SN366 Black or Duncan Designer Glazes DG203 Carbon Chiffon. Since it is very difficult to get color on top of black, you'll want to use a very opaque product to paint your design on. I have done this with low fire ceramics before and used a combination of Duncan French Dimensions combined with a Duncan Concept color. Mix about half and half or proportions to get a brushable consistency. The French Dimensions are a stand up lining glaze that is opaque and comes in a squeeze bottle. By adding Duncan Concepts to it, you can achieve a brushable product with enough opacity to cover black. You may need two coats. Definitely run some test tiles to determine what is best for the look and colors you want to achieve.

My words exactly! trina

I would add a detail line with the product you plan to use on top of the glaze in the center of the glazed area. Sometimes glazes move within themselves without venturing onto unglazed bisque. That movement would make your line fuzzy or spread. But, of course what is acceptable will be up to you. cool.gif

If you're thinking of decals, they can go on most glazes regardless of movement because the decal is fired at a lower temperature, cone 016 to 015, that softens the glaze but doesn't allow it to flow.

• 3 weeks later...

I would LOVE to use some black clay, can you tell me where to get it. I think the name of if is Cassius?

I have heard some great things about it, but no specs. Grog or grit? Firing range, shrink rate.

I know it is a messy clay, but so is red earthenware, and some say that it stains your hands and it won't come off...any comments on that?

(if this is not in a good section of the forum, please move it to the correct place.)

I would LOVE to use some black clay, can you tell me where to get it. I think the name of if is Cassius?

I have heard some great things about it, but no specs. Grog or grit? Firing range, shrink rate.

I know it is a messy clay, but so is red earthenware, and some say that it stains your hands and it won't come off...any comments on that?

(if this is not in a good section of the forum, please move it to the correct place.)

http://shop.clay-planet.com/612-midfire-clay---cone-5-6.aspx

Archived