firing schedule

Can someone help.. My niece has a project due for school and of course cannot get it fired in time at school.

She needs her little piece fired at a cone 5.

I have a glass kiln and was wondering what would the fire schedule be.

Any help would be appreciated. 

I have a jen ken kiln a digatal temp. controller

I guess it depends.

On temp you're happy to take kiln to.

The type of clay it is made of.

How thick how big .

How dry

If a simple pot/ sculpture pot you could bisque to 1000deg C or a bit higher 

Assuming dry as a bonecould dry in low oven overnight door open low heat.

50degc /hr  to 150degC

100degC/he to 700degC

Then 150 to top temp say1020degC

If thick and heavy slow the first  ramp and consider placing piece on fine grog .

Good luck.

If your kiln doesn' do that temp could get away with something in 900s .The clay may eventually wear away like terracotta plant pots.

Is she painting it?

It's not too likely your kiln will be up to the task. The working temperatures  for both slumped and cast glass are much lower temperatures than ceramic. Without knowing the exact model of your kiln, none of the Jen Ken kilns listed on the website as specifically glass kilns get hot enough for typical ceramics temperatures. The glass kilns on the site max out at 1700 F, and cone 5, which is a common enough glaze fire temperature, is about 2167 F.  Even cone 05, which is a common bisque temperature is around 1888 F.

If you possess one of the models that are also listed for pottery use, here is an older thread on glaze firing cycles.

For reference, start your firing cycle slowly: it should take an hour or 2 to get to the boiling point of water if the piece is bone dry. If you suspect the piece is still damp, a soak hold to evaporate everything off is a good idea. Ease slowly through Quartz inversion at 1064 F as well. 

Archived