Old Skutt model 175P wiring schematics

MKate

Hi, I bought an inexpenisive, VERY old skutt model 175P, 230V, serial number 8. Does anyone out there have wiring schematics on this model. My dad is an electrician doing an interplug wire update for me but the current wiring isn't making sense to him. Specifically why the ground seems to be wired to the elements. Thanks. 

Pictures please. It's also possible that someone who doesn't understand that 220/230/240v has two hot leads, a common and a ground, may have tried rewiring the kiln prior to your ownership so don't assume that what is there is correct. Does this kiln have infinity switches? 

@MKate Call Skutt for the wiring diagram. They don't publish diagrams for the old kilns on the web.

As for the wiring, it is possible someone messed it up, however some of the older 2 section kilns, while using a 240 volt service, actually run each section on 120 volts. So instead of  2 hots and a ground, you have 2 hots and a neutral and a ground. Each section of the kiln is wired up as 120 volts, with one hot and the neutral. A lot of the old Knight kilns were set up that way, too, as well as some Paragon and Skutts, and probably others.

Archived