Advancer Shelves: kiln wash or not?

SunsetBay

Only if you do not want the pot bottoms plucked (chipped)I would put my wash on thin (do not use commercial wash)

What you should use is 1/2 alumina Hydrate 1/4 EPK and 1/4 calcined EPK or glowmax (same thing)This was cost more but comes off easy and will not stick to shelves. Use a paint roller for application.Put shelves in sun 1st to heat them up

Mix your wash thin like light cream as the coasting does not need to be thick. Dry thoroughly and slow fire the 1st time so shelves can dry out. I usually load a bisque on newly washed shelves and fire the bisque slow to dry them out. These shelves need special care to keep them dry. Store them on a piece of wood not on concrete as they can suck moisture from that. They can explode into tiny bits if wet and fired fast . I have never done that and have over 60 in use but I have known a person who hosed off his advancers then fired a glaze fire and blew a few up in load.People do crazy stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rex Johnson said:

...wait, what? I thought you said the Advancers didn't need wash...?

Advancers do not need washing UNLESS you use porcelains. Which are just glassy enough to pluck even my Daves Porcelain will pluck on them.

Glaze will not get into them either way-its the glassy surface of the advancers that make this happen with porcelains .

It has been suggested that I cover the feet of my wares with wax resist with some alumina hydrate mixed in, rather than apply kiln wash to the shelves. Also that I apply kiln wash to the tops and bottoms of my kiln furniture (though I'm not sure how important that might be, as of course the kiln furniture isn't porcelain). 

As for storage, I'm storing the shelves upright on wooden supports in the garage. I don't think they're touching any concrete below, and behind the first one is the firewall material we put in around the kiln. The only moisture that gets into the garage is snow melt from the car tires sometimes, or occasional rain washing in if it's windy and the door is open.  I'm wondering if there's more I should be doing for shelf storage... I haven't used the new shelves yet.

I find that added hydrate to wax can screw up glaze on pots over time . The hydrate can add a rough spot to the edge of glaze if it gets into the glaze. For me washing the shelves cured that issue. If you are a small producer and take lots of time making sure that the hydrate is not getting into your glaze (as it never melts) then add some to your wax and see if that works for you. As to the shelves 

Keep them on wood not concrete and leaning them onto cement board on the wall is fine as long as thats stays dry.

Do not get to caught up in this as they really works like all other shelves-just keep them dryer.

Mine are leaning up on gas kiln outside under a roof on wood slats on top of gravel-in about 100% humidity and they are fine.I use about 60 of them in two kilns combined now.

18 hours ago, Mark C. said:

I find that added hydrate to wax can screw up glaze on pots over time . The hydrate can add a rough spot to the edge of glaze if it gets into the glaze. For me washing the shelves cured that issue. If you are a small producer and take lots of time making sure that the hydrate is not getting into your glaze (as it never melts) then add some to your wax and see if that works for you. As to the shelves 

Keep them on wood not concrete and leaning them onto cement board on the wall is fine as long as thats stays dry.

Do not get to caught up in this as they really works like all other shelves-just keep them dryer.

Mine are leaning up on gas kiln outside under a roof on wood slats on top of gravel-in about 100% humidity and they are fine.I use about 60 of them in two kilns combined now.

Thanks, Mark. I'm going to experiment with the hydrate/wax mixture on the feet before I decide whether to kiln wash the shelves.  

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, SunsetBay said:

It occurs to me to ask:  Does this problem of porcelain plucking occur during all firing, or just glaze firing? Meaning: Is it something to worry about during a bisque firing? 

Thanks!

No worries with bisque. During a glaze firing, porcelain gets very close to its melting point, to it gets sticky. Think of hot glass just starting to soften and melt.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2018 at 5:21 PM, neilestrick said:

No worries with bisque. During a glaze firing, porcelain gets very close to its melting point, to it gets sticky. Think of hot glass just starting to soften and melt.

So my pieces didn't stick when I used wax resist with alumina hydrate added, but the self-supporting cones plucked! Suggestions? Maybe I should just put wash on the shelves after all... 

On 4/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, SunsetBay said:

It occurs to me to ask:  Does this problem of porcelain plucking occur during all firing, or just glaze firing? Meaning: Is it something to worry about during a bisque firing? 

Thanks!

No worries in a bisque its only the glaze fire as it hotter.

as to the cones just wax the support

Or wash the shelves with the recipe I posted and no more worries

Archived