When submitting jury slides, what is the correct way to note the dimensions?  ZAPP always asks for width, height, depth.. never positive...... if I should include the handles, spouts or knobs.  For example, on a teapot : do you measure height from the top of the knob to the base?  the width from the tip of the spout to the widest point of the handle?  depth is obvious the widest point of the  the piece.  What I refer to as my 6" teapot refers to the main body which is 6" x 6" x 6",  should it  10" w   x    6.5" h   x   6" d  ?    When I have a slide with a teapot set ( teapot and 4 small japanese style teacups)  how do you note dimensions?  just zero for NA ........   or am I just thinking to hard about this?

Yes you should include handles and knobs and spouts. If my piece has a different width and depth, I give the larger number to width, and the smaller one to depth. So for a teapot with an overhead handle, I'll say 8"h x 6.5"w x 5"d. Which is the opposite of what you're doing with width and depth, but I honestly don't think it matters.  

1 hour ago, elaine clapper said:

What I refer to as my 6" teapot refers to the main body which is 6" x 6" x 6",  should it  10" w   x    6.5" h   x   6" d  ? 

The second one is correct. 

For a tea set with four cups, I'll give the dimensions for the teapot only. Then, in the space that Zapp gives you for a description, after I describe the photo I say "Dimensions given are for teapot only. Price is for entire set." 

I used to try hard to be precise but lately I realize you only have to provide a general sense of size, so that something tiny isn't mistaken for giant or vice versa. 

A good rule of thumb when figuring the dimensions is to visualize a "bounding box" smallest possible including all the pot features. the measurements of the bounding box will be the correct measurements. From on who uses a lot of "bounding boxes" or select areas boxes in photoshop or the Gimp to crop photos.

best,

Pres

Archived