Breaking down / moving a Skutt kiln..

mousey

I just got my new kiln delivered and have to bring it into the studio, which is going to require breaking down the rings and such and moving them one at a time then reassembling, of course.

My question: is there any danger of the rings collapsing / becoming damaged if we turn them on their side to get through the door?  EG will bricks slip out, will it bend under its own weight, or is it designed to survive this sort of maneuver?

It's a Skutt 1231pk, aka  http://www.bigceramicstore.com/skutt-km1231pk-single-phase.html

Thanks!!

So I decided to go the responsible adult route and call Skutt, who said that as long as the bands on the rings are tight, they can be moved from horizontal enough to make it through a door, but generally its not a great idea because its a lot of stress on it of course.

If anyone has anything to add, naturally, you have my gratitude.

The biggest dangers would be hurting the soft brick or damaging the electrical connections between the rings.  The rings are good about taking weight from the top and bottom, but pressure from the corners, would be something to be avoided.  After all, the rings are just loose bricks, held together with a stainless steel band...

I didn't look closely at the control box, to see you have a computer controller.  Mine is old school, with just a cone sitter.  So each ring has part of the control box attached to it, and each ring has a male and female plug.  So, whenever I unstack mine, I have to remember to set the rings upside down, so I'm not setting it on the protruding plug.

I've moved mine several times, and never caused any damage.  But since it's a hand me down kiln, it had plenty of damage already...

I have moved my big Skutt several times and have never damaged them.   It was  even moved from the basement up a long narrow stairs and then down again  to the truck by movers.  I worried about them handling it but claimed they had moved kilns before,  they moved three kilns for me  had slight breakage on my oldest one.   Denice

Archived