Remove Center Ring Of Skutt 1027?

M008163

Brand new on the forum. Appreciate any help. Have a large kiln, works great but I can't fill it fast enough. Would like to make it smaller. Can I remove the center ring to make smaller? If yes how would I do? Is there a technician that can do that? Thanks for any insights.

Not necessarily. I would contact Skutt to be sure. The element to lid/floor ratio drastically changes when you remove a ring, so the remaining rings may not have enough power. It also depends on what model kiln you have. If it's digital, then no, because the control box won't fit. Call Skutt.

I have a big Skutt, it was getting hard for me to load and unload it just a little to deep and I am getting older.  I had some bricks from a busted lid and laid them on the bottom and then put a split shelf on top and brought the bottom up 6 inches.  I have a Skutt vent system so I was careful not to block the holes in the bottom  and left the split on the shelves about a half inch apart.  I called Skutt about it but they were afraid my kiln wouldn't heat evenly.  I thought it would be better because the bottom of my kiln has always been cooler than the rest of the kiln.  I have been firing it this way and it is working great.  The center section of a Skutt is where they put the power elements, I am sure they would recommend against this idea.  You might consider the idea of a false floor.  Denice

I have a big Skutt, it was getting hard for me to load and unload it just a little to deep and I am getting older.  I had some bricks from a busted lid and laid them on the bottom and then put a split shelf on top and brought the bottom up 6 inches.  I have a Skutt vent system so I was careful not to block the holes in the bottom  and left the split on the shelves about a half inch apart.  I called Skutt about it but they were afraid my kiln wouldn't heat evenly.  I thought it would be better because the bottom of my kiln has always been cooler than the rest of the kiln.  I have been firing it this way and it is working great.  The center section of a Skutt is where they put the power elements, I am sure they would recommend against this idea.  You might consider the idea of a false floor.  Denice

I find many times that one of the hallmarks of an artist is being adaptive, as you were in this situation, Denice. Too many times I've been told something wouldn't work until I tried it and was successful.

JohnnyK

Archived