Best Tent For Craft Show?

On 3/6/2018 at 8:01 AM, GEP said:

When I had the Trimline, I opted for the bottom sta-bars and these made the tent very rigid in the wind. When I bought the Light Dome, I did not buy the bottom sta-bars, in an effort to streamline my gear. The Light Dome without sta-bars does sway in the wind. I solved that problem by adding crossbracing straps (you can see them in the attached photo). Now it is very rigid in the wind. I prefer the straps, because they pack small, but either is a good solution. I have seen Trimlines swaying in the wind too, I’m assuming they did not have sta-bars. 

Compared to accordian-style tents, the advantage of the Trimlines and Light Domes is not for wind resistance, except that they are reliably well-built, and accordian-style tents come in a wide range of quality from strong to crappy. Every tent becomes a kite in the wind. The real advantage of the Trimline and Light Dome is that the roofs are designed not to pool water. Pooling water is more likely to leak through the roof, plus it’s very heavy and can collapse a cheap tent with its weight. Or accidently spill off and soak you or a customer. The other advantage of Trimline and Light Dome is aesthetic. The vaulted ceilings make a more professional impression.

A5F4F904-C3E3-4778-B0CE-83519D9AAF63.jpeg.15b48e6f329a747f6b2c1c0866bfe650.jpeg

Wow, now I see why your set up looks so much better Mea. Now I know what I want (if I have to do a tent )...

I've seen vendors using pool noodles on the inside corners of sagging tent tops to prop them up. Doesn't look the greatest from inside the tent but invisible from the outside. Found a picture of how I've seen it done.

One more thing to carry around and set up and it doesn't address the frame issue but in a pinch I could see using them if you have a leaking sagging canopy. Maybe if you can get pool noodles the same colour as the canvas it would look a bit better.

image.png

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

@GEP How do you attach your cross bracing straps at the bottom, and what prevents the straps from pulling the legs inward?

My canopy weights are steel bars with loops welded to the tops. The bottoms of the crossbracing straps are clipped onto that loop.

The only thing stopping the legs from moving inward are the weights. I have one on each leg, a tight strap attaches them to the top corner of the canopy, plus velcros straps wrapped tightly around the leg. Sometimes in high gusty situations I’ll notice the legs have moved a few inches, but that’s the worst I’ve seen. It happens a lot less ever since I added the crossbrace straps. Something rigid like stabars would probably be safer, but I haven’t felt the need for them yet. 

2 hours ago, Min said:

I've seen vendors using pool noodles on the inside corners of sagging tent tops to prop them up. Doesn't look the greatest from inside the tent but invisible from the outside. Found a picture of how I've seen it done.

One more thing to carry around and set up and it doesn't address the frame issue but in a pinch I could see using them if you have a leaking sagging canopy. Maybe if you can get pool noodles the same colour as the canvas it would look a bit better.

image.png

I've seen that solution, too. A better looking option is to use flexible, small diameter PVC pipe.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I'm not a ceramic artisan, but l am a jewelry artisan that happened upon this forum. And thanks to everyone who gave their suggestions on the best tents.

Like a dummy, I had been using E-Z Up for years, until a microburst storm Move through the winery I was showing at and completely destroyed it. I ordered an ABC canopy and not surprisingly, the top was too small for the extended frame.  We all can pretty Bunch put these things up in our sleep, so I know it wasn't anything I was doing wrong. Sent it back and was on the hunt for a reasonably priced more reliable tent. Other than taking out a mortgage for the $1200 (and up) tents, I discovered Undercover thanks to this forum.

Just wanted you all to know how invaluable other artisans' opinions are. When looking at reviews for different tents, I don't care that Joe Blow was happy with his tent for his barbecue. Doing shows is completely different as we all know. So getting opinions from people who have gone through the ringer with  weather and set up issues was so important to me. 

So, THANKS!! I just bought an Undercover, and had actually spoken to the owner, Kevin. Awesome customer service. Good luck to everyone in your future shows...

Cheers,

Cat - Chatty Cat's

UPDATE: You guys! I could kiss whomever suggested the Undercover. Got it today and we had it up in 10 minutes. Absolutely the easiest, highest quality tent I've ever owned. If anyone is wondering what to buy..GET THIS! I got the UC-3R10CRS.  Thanks for letting me join your discussion..as l said, l am not a ceramic artisan, but l do buy handmade ceramic for my designs. Cheers, everyone!

Archived