Getting Ready To Sell!

Help!! I have been selling pottery for about a year now, but have just been taking orders. I just signed up for my first art show and I was just wondering what I should have all made.

What sells best in pottery? Bowls? Mugs? Planters? Pitchers? Ring holders? Sponge holders? Platters? etc?? And what do you typically sell it for? Also do sets sell well?

Ah! One's first show! So exciting!

There has been volumes written on this forum about what sells, what to make, who buys what, etc etc. It's a lot of reading material, and if you're in this for a while, I'd go read it. But for the sake of a summary, I'm going to say that you should make bring some things that you like to make, and are proud of, and build yourself a nice display, get a float and a Square, and see what works. Find a show that you think might fit your work. You're in the market research stage. This is a stage where you need to throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. Get some information from "doing" and then make some decisions after you have that information.

Mugs, bowls of various sizes, and some kind of small item like a soap dish or a ring dish or a shot cup are good places to start. You can introduce other, more specific items a few at a time once you get going.

I do apologize. I think the only thing more maddening than "It depends" is probably "go try it and see."

To my experience (limited, at best) people want to buy *something*, but often times aren't looking for "expensive art things".  So a few low-cost items (easy to make, smaller) like spoon holders (small saucer with one piece of the rim slightly flattened) dipped in two colors, toothpick holders, little plaques with words on them, blah, blah - will get some people buying.  Buying *something*. Mugs are popular.  A nod to your region might help; I have a friend who sells anything she puts a cactus or "Arizona" on, perhaps because of our large tourist draw, but possibly gifts to out-of-state people, too.

Archived