3D printing ceramics

I've been working on developing a process to make various shapes out of ceramics, so I found this interesting:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1050-3D-Printed-Glazed-Ceramics-Are-Back.html

It's a company called Shapeways that is making intricate ceramic shapes using a 3D printer.

So who thinks that it will be the death of the potter? LOL!

I don't think that this new technology will be the end of potters I do believe that it may create more interest in clay products in general. I can envision corporate giants such as pepsi ordering pepsi logos on wall plagues, coasters, ect as a high end promotions. The one problem I see is that it may devalue pottery, people may see the ceramic promotional items as something that it cheap to make and think they can buy one of a kind work cheaply from a local artist. Denice

Guest JBaymore

The one problem I see is that it may devalue pottery, people may see the ceramic promotional items as something that it cheap to make and think they can buy one of a kind work cheaply from a local artist.

The typical "I (heart) XXXXXXXX" coffee mugs already do this just fine wink.gif .

best,

.............john

Denice.......I was kidding about the end of potters.........then again..........."Hang on, I need to go print a Ming Vase"........but this is probably how it will be done in the 23rd century.

But I think our generation is safe.....especially since they may be able to print shapes, but they certainly can't decorate them with glazes like some of the artists on here.

Perhaps it will increase the value of handmade ceramic art at a future time. Therefore, it might be wise to have family hold on and pass on your one of a kind art till society realizes just how unique and special these potters/artists were. But till then; make art and make hearts happy.

I've been working on developing a process to make various shapes out of ceramics, so I found this interesting:

http://www.shapeways...s-Are-Back.html

It's a company called Shapeways that is making intricate ceramic shapes using a 3D printer.

Originals have always been worth more than the copies/clones/reproductions. I think that the masses will have the printed ming, but others will strive to own the original as they do today.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.shapeways...s-Are-Back.html

Originals have always been worth more than the copies/clones/reproductions. I think that the masses will have the printed ming, but others will strive to own the original as they do today.

Shapeways isn't the only place you can try this. The service is available at Ponoko.com and Figulo.com. The system is sold by Viridis3D. There are some other artists popping up here and there that are using the technique. Used machines are much cheaper than they used to be, so it's expensive, but not out of reach for artists.

Archived