73 replies to this topic

#61 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

[quote name='metal and mud' date='19 December 2011 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1324324073' post='11110']
[quote name='trina' date='10 December 2011 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1323538588' post='10914']
[attachment=559:BILD1010.JPG][attachment=558:BILD1037.JPG][quote name='trina' date='10 December 2011 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1323532541' post='10912']
[quote name='metal and mud' date='09 December 2011 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1323460309' post='10892']
Hi Trina--I hope I'm replying to you and not myself!! The term newbie is so Argg...lets see if this works, it is a little hard to figure this reply thing out. Firstly nice to hear back I agree newbie is a silly word... oh well. I am goin to atempt to post some pictures now!
[/quote]

[attachment=557:BILD1034.JPG]
[/quote]

Hi Trina--Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't check the post. A week has gone by, plus. I love your birds with nail legs!! They are so whimsical. The mosaic of the lily pads and fishes is very nice--how big is it? I have a similar project planned, one with large tiles carved to feature ginkgo leaves. I did a test plate and I like the way it turned out; haven't started to tackle something like your mosaic, or mural, or whatever it's called. Any pointers for me or others who would like to make a work like that? FYI, I took my pieces to our local Farmer's Market last Saturday and sold two little (2 inch) clay boxes. Only $20 in revenue, but it made me happy that someone liked my pieces enought to buy them. It also fueled my desire to go back. It's the Christmas Eve market this Saturday.
[/quote]

Hey, Nice to hear from you. The gold fish pond is made with 12cm tiles and is high relief. It is more or less big enough to cover a side table to make a water feature in a dry area. I love making tiles the biggest tip I have is when you cut the tiles don't try moving them into postion until they are leathery hard and once you get working use a spray gun to keep everything moist. When I glazed them I first dipped them in the water colour glaze, wipped off the fish and lilly pads then used underglazes to paint the fish and pads then covered those with clear glaze. I think it gives the fish that nice translucent feeling of swimming particulary on the fins. I am currently working on an exhibition of what I call pods. One might interest you, it is called fire and is full of nails and wire. I have glazed it but am waiting for my kiln to get a bit fuller, and I have had the flue all this week so had to cancel work in the studio totally. I think it is great that you sold some work, it is always a kick, but remember if you are trying to become a professional potter (which I don't know) or just trying to support your hobby, Don't undercut your work ;) which I am sure is great!!! If you have any questions that I can answer I will happily do so.... Trina

#62 meghanmuir

meghanmuir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hello. My name is Meghan and I live in KY. I just graduated with my BFA in ceramics. I first got into ceramics when I took a class in it at my university. I left school for a time and then came back to finish up my degree. I own a wheel and just purchased a Skutt KM1027 kiln. I plan on having a studio in my garage and I'm in the process of getting that organized and making a work table, shelves, etc. I love doing a combination of wheel throwing and altering and handbuilding. I'm planning to work with earthenware for a while and fire to 04.

I love perusing the forums here, great community and good info!
www.meghanmuir.com
www.muirceramics.com
www.etsy.com/shop/MuirCeramics

#63 Cymen

Cymen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hi! My name is Cymen and I live in Chicago. I recently became interested in making Tiki mugs. As I like the school of hard knocks, I went out and got an old 120v kiln (Duncan "The Artist" ES-122) and started reading. I'm going to make molds out of plaster and slip cast the mugs with my family over Christmas. It is an ambitious schedule particularly in terms of drying time for the molds and slip clay so we'll see how it goes. The plan is to make the molds, make some castings, glaze them with Amaco velvets underglaze, fire the glazed greenware, and then put on a glossy coat of glaze and fire again. We've got an art teacher, an engineer and a BFA in the family so together we should be able to pull it off.

While reading about the specific things I need to do I came across a lot of other interesting things like making tiles and throwing clay. I'm interested in pursuing both of those topics later but for now I'm focused on the mugs!

#64 shiro

shiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

I'm shiro, I'm from the Midlands in the UK.

I did some ceramics in college, along with a general art course. Then after being a client at a mental health back to work project doing ceramics, I became the volunteer in charge of the ceramics part of the project after the lady who ran it retired.
Tho I have learned a lot during my time as a client, I'm winging it a lot now, but I'm enjoying learning lots about ceramics along the way.
At the workshop we do throwing, use push molds and slip molds and make slab pots. Recently we've had a go at making our own plaster molds with mixed results.

I hope to learn lots more at this forum and maybe pick the brains of you more experienced potters. :)

#65 Devany

Devany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationHilo, Hawaii

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

I am a ceramic artist living in Hawaii. I did ceramics in college and then got involved with life... work, children etc. at age 50 I enrolled in a ceramics program at a college in Chicago, worked there for three years, then moved to the Bay Area where I was in a guild for two years. While there, I got to work in salt firing and it is still my love, though I do not have a salt kiln here in Hawaii. We moved to Hawaii in 2009. I have a studio over looking the sea. I do high fire, mostly porcelain sculpted and hand built work. I do use the extruder often as well. I do miss working in a guild environment, but having my own studio and kiln is great. Getting materials is not so easy. I have to order clay one ton at a time and since there are no ceramics supply stores here, every thing has to be ordered and shipped from the mainland.

I am thinking of making a move to North Carolina (near Charlotte) in the upcoming year. So some changes may be in my future. Posted Image
Devany Vickery-Davidson
Ceramic Artist, Photographer & Writer
www.EastBayPotters.com
www.MyHawaiianHome.blogspot.com
www.devpics.wordpress.com

Posted Image

#66 Devany

Devany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationHilo, Hawaii

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

How did those Tiki Mugs turn out? I would like to see pictures!

Hi! My name is Cymen and I live in Chicago. I recently became interested in making Tiki mugs. As I like the school of hard knocks, I went out and got an old 120v kiln (Duncan "The Artist" ES-122) and started reading. I'm going to make molds out of plaster and slip cast the mugs with my family over Christmas. It is an ambitious schedule particularly in terms of drying time for the molds and slip clay so we'll see how it goes. The plan is to make the molds, make some castings, glaze them with Amaco velvets underglaze, fire the glazed greenware, and then put on a glossy coat of glaze and fire again. We've got an art teacher, an engineer and a BFA in the family so together we should be able to pull it off.

While reading about the specific things I need to do I came across a lot of other interesting things like making tiles and throwing clay. I'm interested in pursuing both of those topics later but for now I'm focused on the mugs!

Devany Vickery-Davidson
Ceramic Artist, Photographer & Writer
www.EastBayPotters.com
www.MyHawaiianHome.blogspot.com
www.devpics.wordpress.com

Posted Image

#67 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

I am a ceramic artist living in Hawaii. I did ceramics in college and then got involved with life... work, children etc. at age 50 I enrolled in a ceramics program at a college in Chicago, worked there for three years, then moved to the Bay Area where I was in a guild for two years. While there, I got to work in salt firing and it is still my love, though I do not have a salt kiln here in Hawaii. We moved to Hawaii in 2009. I have a studio over looking the sea. I do high fire, mostly porcelain sculpted and hand built work. I do use the extruder often as well. I do miss working in a guild environment, but having my own studio and kiln is great. Getting materials is not so easy. I have to order clay one ton at a time and since there are no ceramics supply stores here, every thing has to be ordered and shipped from the mainland.

I am thinking of making a move to North Carolina (near Charlotte) in the upcoming year. So some changes may be in my future. Posted Image

Hi there, I really admire your work! Beautiful :) Trina

#68 metal and mud

metal and mud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

[quote name='trina' date='20 December 2011 - 06:39 AM' timestamp='1324388345' post='11140']
[quote name='metal and mud' date='19 December 2011 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1324324073' post='11110']
[quote name='trina' date='10 December 2011 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1323538588' post='10914']
[attachment=559:BILD1010.JPG][attachment=558:BILD1037.JPG][quote name='trina' date='10 December 2011 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1323532541' post='10912']
[quote name='metal and mud' date='09 December 2011 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1323460309' post='10892']
Hi Trina--I hope I'm replying to you and not myself!! The term newbie is so Argg...lets see if this works, it is a little hard to figure this reply thing out. Firstly nice to hear back I agree newbie is a silly word... oh well. I am goin to atempt to post some pictures now!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Trina--Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't check the post. A week has gone by, plus. I love your birds with nail legs!! They are so whimsical. The mosaic of the lily pads and fishes is very nice--how big is it? I have a similar project planned, one with large tiles carved to feature ginkgo leaves. I did a test plate and I like the way it turned out; haven't started to tackle something like your mosaic, or mural, or whatever it's called. Any pointers for me or others who would like to make a work like that? FYI, I took my pieces to our local Farme

r's Market last Saturday and sold two little (2 inch) clay boxes. Only $20 in revenue, but it made me happy that someone liked my pieces enought to buy them. It also fueled my desire to go back. It's the Christmas Eve market this Saturday.
[/quote]

Hey, Nice to hear from you. The gold fish pond is made with 12cm tiles and is high relief. It is more or less big enough to cover a side table to make a water feature in a dry area. I love making tiles the biggest tip I have is when you cut the tiles don't try moving them into postion until they are leathery hard and once you get working use a spray gun to keep everything moist. When I glazed them I first dipped them in the water colour glaze, wipped off the fish and lilly pads then used underglazes to paint the fish and pads then covered those with clear glaze. I think it gives the fish that nice translucent feeling of swimming particulary on the fins. I am currently working on an exhibition of what I call pods. One might interest you, it is called fire and is full of nails and wire. I have glazed it but am waiting for my kiln to get a bit fuller, and I have had the flue all this week so had to cancel work in the studio totally. I think it is great that you sold some work, it is always a kick, but remember if you are trying to become a professional potter (which I don't know) or just trying to support your hobby, Don't undercut your work ;) which I am sure is great!!! If you have any questions that I can answer I will happily do so.... Trina
[/quote]

#69 metal and mud

metal and mud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

[quote name='metal and mud' date='23 December 2011 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1324690345' post='11269']
[quote name='trina' date='20 December 2011 - 06:39 AM' timestamp='1324388345' post='11140']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Trina--Sorry I didHin't reply sooner, but I didn't check the post. A week has gone by, plus. I love your birds with nail legs!! They are so whimsical. The mosaic of the lily pads and fishes is very nice--how big is it? I have a similar project planned, one with large tiles carved to feature ginkgo leaves. I did a test plate and I like the way it turned out; haven't started to tackle something like your mosaic, or mural, or whatever it's called. Any pointers for me or others who would like to make a work like that? FYI, I took my pieces to our local Farme

r's Market last Saturday and sold two little (2 inch) clay boxes. Only $20 in revenue, but it made me happy that someone liked my pieces enought to buy them. It also fueled my desire to go back. It's the Christmas Eve market this Saturday.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

#70 metal and mud

metal and mud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

Trina--Sorry I've messed up our thread about tiles but my tablet isn't able to reply to your previous posts. Thanks for explaining the process used to make your lovely goldfish mural. I look forward to that project. I also appreciate your comment about undercutting. I feel all my pieces are just waiting for the right new owner to come along. I'm not looking to support myself in this clay business, but to help pay for my hobby and to keep my shelves cleared off. We had a big snow here in Southern New Mexico and I won't be selling tomorrow. Merry Christmas!

#71 Amanda

Amanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hello All

My name is Amanda; I live in Winnipeg, Canada and I just joined this forum today. I have just recently developed an obsession with clay. I have taken a couple of wheel classes at the local art gallery, and I plan to take more classes until I can either join a studio or can set up a home studio, which is not likely, as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

I discovered my passion for clay later in life, I am 45, and hope to pursue it full time when I retire from my day job. I am mostly interested in throwing, I am interested in Raku, I have participated in a couple of firings, those pieces were handbuilt. I wish that I had realized a passion for clay when I was in university, I hear some potters talk about what a great time they had at school, but that's done, I intend to keep on with this obsession that I am developing!

#72 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hello All

My name is Amanda; I live in Winnipeg, Canada and I just joined this forum today. I have just recently developed an obsession with clay. I have taken a couple of wheel classes at the local art gallery, and I plan to take more classes until I can either join a studio or can set up a home studio, which is not likely, as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

I discovered my passion for clay later in life, I am 45, and hope to pursue it full time when I retire from my day job. I am mostly interested in throwing, I am interested in Raku, I have participated in a couple of firings, those pieces were handbuilt. I wish that I had realized a passion for clay when I was in university, I hear some potters talk about what a great time they had at school, but that's done, I intend to keep on with this obsession that I am developing!

#73 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello All

hey cool i am canadian too, welcome to this site. Trina

#74 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello All

hey cool i am canadian too, welcome to this site. Trina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users