Potters and their papers

Do you think it's necessary for a Potter, or ceramics enthusiast to have a degree?

Do you think having a degree helps?

Do you know any successful potters WITHOUT a degree, or any major training?

What's your thoughts?

I believe that training & education always helps, but then I am/was an art teacher. I do question anymore the value of a 4 year degree anymore. It seems that so often there is a pile of debt, and time involved in the 4 to six years on the road to an MFA or even to an MA. There is also the difficulty of many MFAs requiring residency-another detriment to a working person to get one. In the end, I wonder whether the older apprentice system was better for some types of education. At any rate, I believe that it is very difficult to pick up on all of the skills and knowledge involved in this and other crafts without some form of formal education.

Yes and No. I somewhat agree with Pres. Of course learning it through an established route such as Universities is a great way to build on your knowledge with strict focus on "You". Many times an apprentice route is great but quite often it is learning to make what the head potter wants you to make and not necessarily what you want to make. Of course in the beginning of your learning do you really know yet what you want to make? Formal education adds more in some ways to a well rounded artist in the media and creates more opportunity to build upon critical thinking abilities and offers an array of opportunities out side the discipline of art on top of building on knowledge based around formal approaches such as composition, line and form and content building that helps your work talk about something more than solely utilitarian approaches to the media. Is it necessary to take the higher education route, certainly not, but is it helpful and a good route, yes it is. This can be illustrated by almost all of the top artists in the contemporary field of ceramics and other media. But like Pres, I am an educator and I believe in what I do to the fullest extent. But I still believe in the merit of other educational directions outside of higher ed. Good hard work at a production facility can teach the rigors of a 9-5 type of job many potters create for themselves that quite frankly is not imbedded in many universities. Some schools do push that kind of work ethic. Berea in KY for instance has a great program that envelopes academic training along with apprenticeship ideals. West Virginia University also offers similar opportunities. Other universities still work at embedding work ethic into their students in other ways. There certainly is no one route, but achieving a BFA and the Terminal Degree of an MFA is still and always will be an very good route to obtain the knowledge that the individual needs to gather to help them be successful in their endeavors. It however is not a guarantee. There are potters out there who have not taken the higher ed route and are doing fine. Maybe a few who have become the cream on the top also. Arowmont, Penland, Haystack, Anderson Ranch, Appalachian Center for Crafts and other workshop opportunities are also a good way to add to ones skill base and knowledge of concepts. Conferences such as NCECA and smaller conferences offered by the Potters Council are other conduits of information. The last thing to really say about higher education is their is an amazing mentorship that happens between students and their professors that I have yet to see anywhere else. This kind of dedicated interest in a students success is usually a long term commitment, (if the student is committed), Professors generally hold well after the student graduates from their program. To me the best route is combination of all the opportunities you can take advantage of. I have received my BFA from the University of Wisconsin, Whitewater, and an MFA from The University of Iowa, Have worked at Arrowmont, Penland, and Haystack and been an apprentice, and every experience I had built my knowledge on more than just art. Take as many paths as you can and be a life long learner. Hope this some food for thought. Best to you in any direction you take.

My answer to your questions-

1. Do you think it’s necessary for a potter or ceramics enthusiast to have a degree?

No, but taking a course, anywhere, in a community center, an adult education course, or a course with the neighborhood potter, or in a junior or senior college will be very helpful.

2. Getting a degree? It can’t hurt, especially if your instructors are as gifted as mine were.

3. A list of successful potters is much too numerous to mention. Try listing the potters from the beginning of time to about the time of the industrial revolution. It was then incorporated in the trade schools and formal ceramics education began.

4. Now what do you mean by successful?

The most important element is passion. If you find that you must work the clay that is what it takes for 'success'. It is the want to, need to, the ‘gotta’ do it, that will lead you to ‘successfully’ being a potter.

My answer to your questions-

4. Now what do you mean by successful?

The most important element is passion. If you find that you must work the clay that is what it takes for 'success'. It is the want to, need to, the ‘gotta’ do it, that will lead you to ‘successfully’ being a potter.

Hmmm... good question. I suppose I thinking along the lines of well recognized potters, or ceramic artists who are mostly known throughout the community and outside of it.

You must know what you want to do? That is what you must decide. Do you want to be recognized by the public or the ceramics community? Do you want to do the workshop circuit? Would you like to be featured in the magazines? Would you like to be known for and have the definitive answers to ceramic questions like Robin Hopper? Do you want to write books and make instructional videos?

Do you want to be another Lucie Rie, or a new Ruth Duckworth? Would you like to be the new Wedgwood perhaps or a new Meissen? How about a Tiffany's? Interesting, huh?

My advice is to work the clay. Learn the processes which ever way you can by formal education or on your own; learn the tools, learn the equipment, learn the materials, develop your own style, learn what it takes to make your 'pots' good ‘pots’, and work, work, and more work.

Research those areas that you want to be a part of and ask questions about the requirements for submittals to magazines and juried craft shows. And this is very important learn about photography.

Sell your best work, when and where you can, if only to clear space on your shelves. Or give the best work to church or community thrift stores to clear your shelves. But the key is to work and know the clay so when the time comes for you to introduce yourself you will have something wonderful to ‘show and tell’.

Ahhh, Lucille, such a wise head. Passion certainly. Willingness to be open to learning wherever and whenever the opportunity occurs.

I came late to ceramics and have no degrees of any sort. However, I did take classes in a university setting from a very good teacher. I've also read anything about ceramics that I could get my hands on except for making glazes. The chemistry foils me, but the industry fills me. There are so many choices in commercial glazes that I'll never be able to try them all. Mostly, I work at what I love to do. Okay, I don't make a lot of money, but I'm content.

I would say if a young person is interested in making a career in ceramics, go for at least the BFA degree. It will provide you a platform on which to build. Those first four years will give you good hard looks at other types of art so you become many-faceted. Art, whether it is art history, painting, sculpture, or ceramics, is integrated--at school and in your mind and heart. Those four years will kindle your passion and allow your creativity to expand to fill a universe of choice. All of the skills learned translate easily to the ceramics field. You will establish contacts that will lead to greater adventures, and meet fellow artists that share your enthusiasm. As your career grows you will find that getting into shows or galleries, will come easier if you have three letters after your name, and have established a reputation with other recognized artists.

Learn the basics. Experiment. Work hard. Have some fun. And for heaven's sake--like Lucille said--take a course in photography, it is essential and also take a least one business course, because IF you want to make a career, you'd better know how to to manage one.

You need good teachers, not a piece of paper. I have two bachelors degrees, neither in art, so I won't say formal education is a bad idea... but if you just want to throw pots as an "enthusiast", I think the time and expense of a four year degree is a waste. Even if you want to make a living at pottery, I'd take a long, hard look before pursuing a degree. I don't think it's necessary... how much benefit it is will vary by individual, so you have to understand your own strengths and weaknesses to make that decision.

I agree with Pres but then I am a University Ceramics Professor.

I retired for ten years ago and now I am teaching again. I have noticed a huge change to classroom atmosphere. I don't mind students working and listening to their Ipods. They are focused and making good work.

You don't need a degree to be a potter. You can learn many things through dvds or attending Community center classes or going to workshops.

As Lucie said, it depends on your passion. Being a self-supporting potter is hard work and time consuming. Read about the professionals in the series that ceramics Monthly ran over the past year. Their time broken up by making, bookkeeping and promotion.

There are good potters making good pots, but most of the headliners making news have academic training. Making it is just the circles of the business.

I love the work of many of them. I would recommend reading Ceramics Monthly and other current information in the business. Do background checks (google) on the people you admire and see if they had academic training. Then think about what interests you. Maybe follow some of those people when they offer a workshop.

Marcia

Thanks for the replies and input, everyone! This has been helpful to me, and I imagine other people who have read this topic! It's great to have a community of people who come from all different levels of learning from professors to beginners.

I took a ceramics class in college and was absolutely dreading it, but I received such wonderful input from my teacher about my work, that he encouraged me to pursue ceramics.

Silly me, though, I left the school shortly after that class, got married, and moved two hours away. It's only now that I finally figured out I wanted a BFA in ceramics. I've attended workshops within the past two years to keep me updated, and I am currently taking potting classes from Ceramic Arts Daily's very own Jen Harnetty, which I have benefited from greatly.

I often want to kick myself for giving up schooling and getting married and leaving it behind, but I still love my husband, so it just had me thinking if it was necessary to finish off a degree, or just live and learn and do what I can day by day. I have a good day job, which prevents me from becoming a full-time potter, or student again for that matter.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm always in awe by most of the work I see from people in this community, and the advice is usually just as spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, silly you, but thank heaven there's always a but. And you've obviously tapped into but and working the options. I trained as a painter at the San Francisco Art Institute way back when snakes could walk; for me, thank heaven there was a but and I've paid for the ride! It's been eventful; however, ultimately I make pots which is my first love. Be careful what you wish for, as it may come true.

Archived