Help Identifying A Glaze

Giddy

A challenge for you glaze experts. Is anyone able to hazard a guess to a glaze recipe for the attached image. It's something that I made years ago in high school where the buckets of glaze were a bit of a mystery. You used to dunk and hope, the technician had the knowledge and wasn't sharing! If anyone has a similar style of glaze they could point me to that would be great.

post-72298-0-80210700-1446365262_thumb.jpeg

I'll grab the low hanging fruit and say one of the ingredients is cobalt (or a commercial blue stain? :wacko: )  It is rather a bright kind of blue, reminds me of the kinds one gets with alkalis like lithium.   Is this a low fire or high fire clay, or put another way, what is the red clay underneath the glaze?  Is it terracotta?  A few more pics of different parts of the put might help.... 

Years ago the college hours were gauged by quarter hours...and at the end of each quarter, the person who missed the pottery dept. clean up day was given the task

of cleaning out the sinks clay trap. It was put in a 5 gallon bucket where the instructor added chemicals and frits, etc. The bucket was labeled mystery glaze.

Sometimes it worked and when it did, everyone knew they had til the bucket was low

to use that particular glaze. Sometimes if the instructor felt she could tweak the glaze to make it work, she would.

As for your mystery glaze, just find something close and like it.:-)

Make lots of test tiles and notes!

Alabàma

Looks like you have a black firing clay with white slip to accent the texture.  A good possibility for the glaze is Bright Sky Blue from Mastering Cone 6 Glazes.

http://www.masteringglazes.com/mastering-cone-6-glazes/glazes/bright-sky-blue-on-tan.html

If you google the glaze name, you should be able to find the recipe. 

All good suggestions. I'm willing to test them all... Sounds good fun.

I think it's a bog standard stoneware clay, it was a school with a tight budget. Much of the glazing was a mystery to us. Plunge and hope. We too had a bucket that everything was emptied into and this may well have even one.

And Joel, yes that looks similar... What is it?

Archived