Glaze Cracking pre fire?

PuraVida

Hey everyone,

Quick question. I glazed some stoneware with ^5 glazes most of which look ok but a few of the first ones I did appeared to be cracking (the glaze not the ware) so I added more water to the mix and it seemed to help. My question is what can I do about the pots with the thick glaze i can crack it off with my fingers. Should I just wash them with a sponge and re-glaze or am I stuck. I'm holding off on firing them because I am assuming the glaze will run because the original mix was to thick.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony,

From time to time it slips my mind to check the glaze before I glaze the first piece. I have never had a problem throwing them in a bucket of water to soak for a minute and the take a sponge/Scotch Brite pad and clean the glaze off. I'll let them set for 30 minutes if it's warm out and then reglaze.

Bobg

• 1 month later...

If the glaze is cracking as it dries, then it's too thick. Wash it off, let it dry overnight, then re-dip. It really does need to be completely dry, or very close, before re-dipping. Otherwise, the pot will already be saturated with water and you won't get a decent glaze application.

Archived