sealant for raku glazes

I have used an acrylic UV protector on my glazes. The pieces are wall plaques. I had a piece in Montana sunlight outside for over 7 years. The untreated area turned green and the treated area remained copper colored.

See page 93 in Alternative Kilns and Firing Techniques to see the type of work I am referring to..

Marcia

I have used an acrylic UV protector on my glazes. The pieces are wall plaques. I had a piece in Montana sunlight outside for over 7 years. The untreated area turned green and the treated area remained copper colored.

See page 93 in Alternative Kilns and Firing Techniques to see the type of work I am referring to..

Marcia

Marcia

Thank you so much, Marcia. I love your work. Now, where do you buy this acrylic UV protector? I also do a lot of plaques and am often asked if they can be used outside. I can definitely increase my sales if I can find this protectant.

Julie

Marcia

Thank you so much, Marcia. I love your work. Now, where do you buy this acrylic UV protector? I also do a lot of plaques and am often asked if they can be used outside. I can definitely increase my sales if I can find this protectant.

Julie

To little old me: Is shoe wax different than waxes used to polish wood? I checked some sealants I have on hand and both said to make sure the surface is "clean and free from dust, grease, and wax befoe applying sealant". Wax is sometimes used as a separator or as a finish in and of itself. Definitely interested in your answer. Thanks.

Hullo just a quick suggestion have you thought that waxing your piece first with clear shoe wax first (makes black blacker)

let it dry then use a concrete sealer that dries clear i have used this for years and have not had any problems:rolleyes: janpost-5984-1314672637988_thumb.jpg

No, I have never used anything on my raku pieces. I remember reading an article many years ago and the author chose not to seal any of his raku work. He referred to the "aging" of the glaze and I thought, well, just like a beautiful woman ages beautifully......but now I would like to keep some of the color. I have watched my fireplace tiles "age beautifully" (2007 to now) and think they had more variety in color as the light in the room changed at the beginning.......but they are still beautiful. Will definitely try the show was and different types of sealers.

Thanks.

To little old me: Is shoe wax different than waxes used to polish wood? I checked some sealants I have on hand and both said to make sure the surface is "clean and free from dust, grease, and wax befoe applying sealant". Wax is sometimes used as a separator or as a finish in and of itself. Definitely interested in your answer. Thanks.

My newest experiment is going to be to use deck sealer for UV protection. My building contractor partner swears it will work. I just worry that something will take away the luster and dull the piece.

My newest experiment is going to be to use deck sealer for UV protection. My building contractor partner swears it will work. I just worry that something will take away the luster and dull the piece.

It will work.

Marcia

• 1 month later...

I use 100% bees wax only on burnished pieces.

Ive been looking for a sealant that want dull burnished surface which i want have to re~apply often.

concrete sealant sounds interesting and would possibly make the piece water proof.

Krylon UV acrylic sealant sounds good if I can purchase it here. I have often seen people sraying after firing but could never find out what it was.

Thank you

Marcia

Julie

May find it in an art supply store and sometimes a hardware store.

Marcia

I use 100% bees wax only on burnished pieces.

Ive been looking for a sealant that want dull burnished surface which i want have to re~apply often.

concrete sealant sounds interesting and would possibly make the piece water proof.

Krylon UV acrylic sealant sounds good if I can purchase it here. I have often seen people sraying after firing but could never find out what it was.

Thank you

I am satisfied with the Krylon UV glossy spray for my luster glazes, but not the matte spray on my matte glazes. It seems to darken them and dull the colors. I will try the beeswax on the matte glazes next. Also, the least expensive beeswax to be found here in the US is the ring that which is used for seating toilets! Pure beeswax. I use it for wood.....another tip from my building contractor partner.

Archived