How many people are using SQUARE for credit cards?

Do you use SQUARE?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the iPhone Ap Square to accept credit cards?

• Yes, I love it
    • No, don
    • Fees are too high
    • I don't own a smart phone
    • I do not accept credit card payments

I use Square and love it. I only do a few shows a year, and my Etsy site accepts Pay Pal, but when I do need to accept credit cards I really like using square. I have found that the fees are not much higher than other services.

I upgraded from BlackBerry to Droid just for the ability to use the Square.

I've used it twice and really liked it. Very easy to use!

I got it specifically to take credit cards at shows etc.

Oh, and speaking of SmartPhone apps, have any of you played with the one that lets you throw and fire pots?

No, do you know the name of the ap for throwing pots? Sounds like fun to me!

Oh, and speaking of SmartPhone apps, have any of you played with the one that lets you throw and fire pots?

A reality check about the Square ....

Why is Square charging so little for credit card processing, while all other processors are busy raising their fees, to cover the costs of new industry security standards?

Because Square is operating at a big loss, which they can afford to do right now because they are flush with venture capital. At some point, they will be expected to turn a profit, which means they will need to charge you to use it. Probably $10 - $12/month, similar to other plans that are designed for small businesses. They hope you will be dependent on their device by the time they start asking you to pay for it.

(if you use Netflix this story should sound familiar)

So enjoy it while you can! And don't be surprised when it changes.

Mea

No, do you know the name of the ap for throwing pots? Sounds like fun to me!

Its called "Lets Create Pottery"

the Android version has a couple of goofy glitches, and it doesn't feel like its made by a potter, but the throwing and firing are fun, and its actually kind of useful for trying different shapes.

Guest HerbNorris

The photo feature lets you take a picture of your buyer's purchase, so they can be reminded what the charge was for. Before Square, we would occasionally get calls from people that were questioning what a charge was on their statement, and they were threatening to challenge them.

As far as Square changing their fee structure, I find it's best to base my business practice on facts, not speculation. So, I will keep using Square.

The photo feature lets you take a picture of your buyer's purchase, so they can be reminded what the charge was for. Before Square, we would occasionally get calls from people that were questioning what a charge was on their statement, and they were threatening to challenge them.

As far as Square changing their fee structure, I find it's best to base my business practice on facts, not speculation. So, I will keep using Square.

I agree. In the business I closed down last year (after almost 20 years) I went through 8 or 10 different merchant accounts always looking for a little better deal. Because of the volume, I could always get a really great discount rate, but the whole structure was so complicated that even my bookkeeper couldn't figure it out. I think Square and its future competitors will have the clout to force the gateways and merchant account banks to keep it simple and as they grow they may be able to keep the rates low--especially if they have more competition. I don't use Square yet, but I do think, from doing a little research, that Square is the best thing to happen to credit card processing since they stopped using the little slide machine and carbon paper copies.

Jim

I use square on my I Phone. It has worked great so far and has minimal charges. I don't accept checks and cash only sales can limit your sales. I have made plenty of sales because I now can accept credit cards(vs. losing sales because I was a cash only booth). In addition to taking credit cards, you can put your cash sales on the square, photograph an item, and type a description. It also calculates sales tax and change due as well. You can then go to the website and have your sales invoice printed. Square can be linked directly to your bank account and I believe your paypal account?

If you don't use the square you don't get charged for it either-no monthly fees. Haven't been in the art show business long, but I know other companies charge for their credit card services. I don't know if square will go there or not, but I will stick with them because it is a user friendly application and tracks all my show sales for me. Since it only cost money if and when you use it, I would try it and see.

• 11 months later...

I use Square and love it. I only do a few shows a year, and my Etsy site accepts Pay Pal, but when I do need to accept credit cards I really like using square. I have found that the fees are not much higher than other services.

Hi Devany:

I have been trying to send you an email - your pineapple princess address does not seem to be working....mine is mjupp10@gmail.com

Thanks

I started using Square at my first show. Works excellent. The photo feature is worth the effort. I use it with iPad. Spend some time before the show and make a library, makes the sale go quicker. Also, you can track cash sales for daily running totals.

Archived