How Long ..

Sunny

These times seem ok but the real answer lies in the results.

Are you happy with how things are turning out or are you having problems?

A couple of things have warped during firing. Mainly the glaze firing. That's why I was wondering if I'm firing too fast during glaze or not fast enough. It's always the mid fire clay. I leave the peep holes closed except the one on the lid and turn the temp knob up every 2 hours.

Are you using witness cones inside the kiln to see what temps you are reaching?

There are self supporting ones made by Orton ... You put three on each level.

If you are firing cone 6 you would put in one of each cone 5,6,7.

This is the only way you could see what heat you were achieving during your firing.

Then you would know if the warping was due to over firing or something else.

No, I don't have them. I am in the process of making 16 - 9x9 inch tiles for a mosaic I'm doing to replace a window we took out. Things don't warp all the time, just a few tiles here and there. I was just wondering if my glaze firing schedule was alright. I've never done tiles this big before.

No, I don't have them. I am in the process of making 16 - 9x9 inch tiles for a mosaic I'm doing to replace a window we took out. Things don't warp all the time, just a few tiles here and there. I was just wondering if my glaze firing schedule was alright. I've never done tiles this big before.

Your warping may be caused in the handling of the tiles during the process of making them and sometimes it shows up in the glaze firing. Your tiles might be sticking slightly to the shelf. Some grog on the shelf might give them the slip they need. I fire my glaze firing without any peep hole plugs until I turn the kiln to high. Denice (Wichita, KS)

Your warping may be caused in the handling of the tiles during the process of making them and sometimes it shows up in the glaze firing. Your tiles might be sticking slightly to the shelf. Some grog on the shelf might give them the slip they need. I fire my glaze firing without any peep hole plugs until I turn the kiln to high. Denice (Wichita, KS)

Thanks Denice, do you leave the lid propped up also ? I read about people using sand on the shelves, I'm going to do that with these tiles. I just recently put shelf wash on them and most of it flaked off. My kiln is in the garage, I think the cold might of had something to do with it.

Archived