Clay For Raku

Hello, You have all been so wonderful and helpfull with your responses, Thank You. I am wondering which clay would be best to use, a low fire raku clay or a cone 10 stoneware clay that will not fully vitrify when I raku fire it. I want to hand build and throw with the same clay. I am going down to Aardvark clay co. ,so if anyone has any suggestions on their clay, that would be helpful. I was thinking maybe a soldate 30 or 60-not sure if you can throw with the "30". or B-mix with sand. I have used Long Beach with success but would like a white clay body. Thanks again, your ideas are appreciated.

One of the instructors at the studio I go to uses Soldate 60 for raku. He makes tall (up to 30") decorative vases that he finishes in naked raku techniques. You will want a clay body with good thermal-shock properties -- something that can withstand the shock of moving from the kiln to the reduction cans, etc.

If you can get it, try Coleman Raku. I use it for sculpture, handbuilding, throwing and fire it from 06 to 6. Vitrification doesn't take place as this clay is factored at 06 to 10 for firing. Since I started using it some 20 years ago, my loss from raku firings is less than 10%, nothing seems to faze this clay.

Archived