Firing Glass Scraps And Stoneware

Hi all,

I've seen lots of jewelry and bowls that have small beads or shards of glass melted and pooled in the center -- and I'd like to try doing this with my stoneware pots (and even my earthenware pots...if cone 04 is hot enough to melt the glass?). I've heard people say they use broken pieces of wine bottles and other household bottles...and others say they get their scraps of glass at stain glass supply studios etc. Any clarification on this? Can you actually just smash a wine bottle and put a few small shards at the bottom of the pot?

Are there any hazards/tips that people who have done this can offer? Thanks for any hints you can share.

I've seen lots of jewelry and bowls that have small beads or shards of glass melted and pooled in the center -- and I'd like to try doing this with my stoneware pots (and even my earthenware pots...if cone 04 is hot enough to melt the glass?). I've heard people say they use broken pieces of wine bottles and other household bottles...and others say they get their scraps of glass at stain glass supply studios etc. Any clarification on this? Can you actually just smash a wine bottle and put a few small shards at the bottom of the pot? Are there any hazards/tips that people who have done this can offer?

The difference in coefficient of expansion (COE) between clay and scrap glass causes many difficulties. The COE also varies, sometimes drastically, from one brand of bottle to the next. Nevertheless, clay and glass can be combined. Since the glass that has been embedded into the surface of clay can craze and break off, I suggest that you add glass as a surface decoration only on ware that cannot be used for eating.

I have seen experiments where finely powdered glass was mixed in with the clay. I don't know how that is turning out.

The glass that I have fired tends to fuse at around cone 016.

You will find many experts on glass fusing at these forums. Some of them have combined clay and glass:

http://www.warmglass...phpBB/index.php

http://www.bullseyeg...forum/index.php

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

There is a very helpful website that deals with fusing glass: www.glass-fusing-made-easy .

I've used thin strands of glass as decoration on glazed vertical vases by designing a indentation in the vase to hold the melted glass, using Elmer's White glue to hold glass in place and then refiring to cone 06. If the glass runs too much, fire to a slightly cooler temp. Still very much in the experimental stages, challenging and different.

thanks everyone for your comments. I'll check out the forums and study up. My plan is to use it, as suggested, as decoration -- on pendants and possibly on small bowls that are intended for holding jewelry, not food. So I should be okay. I'll do some experimenting -- but still interested to hear from others of how things went in their kilns.

Hi all,

I've seen lots of jewelry and bowls that have small beads or shards of glass melted and pooled in the center -- and I'd like to try doing this with my stoneware pots (and even my earthenware pots...if cone 04 is hot enough to melt the glass?). I've heard people say they use broken pieces of wine bottles and other household bottles...and others say they get their scraps of glass at stain glass supply studios etc. Any clarification on this? Can you actually just smash a wine bottle and put a few small shards at the bottom of the pot?

Are there any hazards/tips that people who have done this can offer? Thanks for any hints you can share.

I just started firing my own work since I just bought a kiln. On my first glaze firing, a friend brought me some of her work to fill up the kiln. She is a stain glass artist too and she put some shards in the bottom of her bowls. I fired at cone 05 and they came out beautifully. I didn't know at the time what could happen so I guess being ignorant worked out okay this time. If I remember correctly her work was on the bottom shelf so it may have gotten a little hotter down there. Anyway they came out really nice so I will probably try some of my own. Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I made a pot with a concave lid, put a handle in the center that sort of looked like a duck. Although it have easyly been mistaken for most anything else. My wife does stained glass so I coated the lid with a thin coat of clear and placed the shards of blue glass on top of that and fired it to cone 6. I looked like a layer of shattered temperd glass, sort of like a lake. The glass did not come off, but I didn't pry real hard. Somebody bought it at a show. I would make a test piece that will answer your questions and try it. We have a life time to perfect our art, no need to be in a hurry. Take a chance and experiment. ain't clay fun

Archived