International Relocation With Clay?

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this question so please move if appropriate.  

I will be moving from China to Europe in the next 2 months.  I have approximately 100kg of clay (various Japanese, Jingdezhen porcelain) that I would like to ship back.  Has anybody successfully shipped clay internationally and what do you declare that clay as?  Any help/advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks. 

C.

Guest JBaymore

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm IN China right now (Chongqing for the next 2 days ... then home).

From Japan to the US I've shipped stuff (and from the US to Japan)...... "ceramic raw materials". Has worked fine for clay and glaze materials for me. BUT they should have a supplier's label on the packaging. If you are talking hand dug stuff...... technically it is against the law (at least in the US) without jumping thru some BIG hoops. And just plastic wrapped left over stuff will likely not work either. Look into European import regulations.

best,

................john

I have moved in and out of the country.  If you are using a professional packing/shipping company it probably wont be a problem.  Just remember who ever is paying, pays by weight.  The one thing you may have a problem with is anything liquid and raw glaze materials.  Depends on how particular your shipper is.  My advice is don't bring anything up/ask questions.  Wait for them to start asking you questions.

Archived