Image Transfer Workshop

I attended a workshop by Jeff Sandoe from Amaco up in Austin at Armadillo Clay. The technique uses a combination of Amaco products: Liquid underglazes, Decorating overgrazes mostly for majolica, and Velvets. Images are drawn or painted using reverse applications onto a plaster slab. When this is complete, a wall around the image is stuck onto the plaster, slip is poured onto the back of the image and let dry. When the slip is dried, the resulting tile can be removed with the image. The image can be reworked if so desired.

I found this to be an interesting process. I went home and cleaned up the backs of several molds in my shop and tried some new attempts.

I posted one result on my gallery under forum discussions.

Has anyone else tried this process?

Marcia

Steve Howell in Florida has used this process for a long time ....

Took a workshop with him at least ten years ago.

It's fun to stretch your brain as you have to think backwards.

I believe Paul Wandless also uses a similar process in some of his work.

Yes, paul was on call in case anyone wanted help. It is much like painting maybe more like printmaking since it is layers and in reverse. It is a fun process to play with images.

I think the end result resembles encaustic tiles ( inlaid color) because of the flatness. Use of slip also provides less likelihood of warping if handled right.

The image's shadow remains on the plaster , so I guess one could do monotype work by going back to the similar image.

It is interesting. I think I can use my own mixtures of underglaze rather than the commercial ones. I did use some in the pieces I did at home. Did you look at the tile in my gallery?

Marcia

I think the end result resembles encaustic tiles ( inlaid color) because of the flatness. Use of slip also provides less likelihood of warping if handled right.

The image's shadow remains on the plaster , so I guess one could do monotype work by going back to the similar image.

It is interesting. I think I can use my own mixtures of underglaze rather than the commercial ones. I did use some in the pieces I did at home. Did you look at the tile in my gallery?

Marcia

That is a very interesting look, I'm going to have to try that. Thank you fro pointing out the tile I hadn't seen it. BTW I really like the photo of you next to the unicorn, is that an installation of your creation? Glad you're back, Happy New year!

Best regards,

Charles

This technique is one I have been using for over 20 years...I make coloured slips by adding stains/oxides to the casting body. This is painted or slip trailed onto plaster sheets, casting slip is poured over, then when firm, the slab is flipped and ready to be cut up. I like to make pots out of the pre-decorated slab, it's lots of fun, like cutting up a piece of fabric! Happy potting from New Zealand, Jo

Marcia

That is a very interesting look, I'm going to have to try that. Thank you fro pointing out the tile I hadn't seen it. BTW I really like the photo of you next to the unicorn, is that an installation of your creation? Glad you're back, Happy New year!

Best regards,

Charles

That is the Gates of Ishtar at the Pergamon Museum in Berlin. Very early example of Architectural ceramics

This technique is one I have been using for over 20 years...I make coloured slips by adding stains/oxides to the casting body. This is painted or slip trailed onto plaster sheets, casting slip is poured over, then when firm, the slab is flipped and ready to be cut up. I like to make pots out of the pre-decorated slab, it's lots of fun, like cutting up a piece of fabric! Happy potting from New Zealand, Jo

Thanks. I have a lot of paperclay slip from my trimmings. Buckets of it. I also have a lot of mason stains already mixed. I will give it a try. I am about to make some large super smooth plaster slabs on plexiglass.

Marcia

Archived