Photographing Your Wares

A little while ago one of the threads got off into photographing your work and suggestions for doing your own photography. Today I was browsing around Wet Canvas which is a forum for artists and I ran across what I consider an excellent beginners manual for photographing artwork, including three-dimensional art. The guide is free for anyone subscribing to their newsletter and can be found at:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Dan/Art-Photography-Guide.pdf

best regards,

Charles

That was a good manual from Wet Canvas. Several years ago during NCECA, the Clayart room offered advice and critiques of slides to anyone who submitted theirs. Russel Fouts and Paul lewing began this. It went on for several years and covered digital images.

The ez cube is highly recommended for small works. It is a white pop-up that deflects and diffuses light helping to avoid "burn" reflections. I have cut a smaller varitone to fit inside one for my smaller pieces. I have a 62" x 43" larger varitone backdrop for larger pieces. I use 3 blue photo lights. one from each side and one bouncing off the ceiling in front..

There was also an article years ago in PMI or Clay Times. It is important to have quality images. Lights and a tripod are essential. Backdrops make a huge difference. And avoid "burn" spots..a bright reflection...they distort color and detail. I have the photo bulbs in clip on metal shade lamps. I have been using the same bulbs for years. I think they rate 17 hours. I set up and have everything ready to go before I turn them on. I shoot a session quickly once started. Going digital has really reduced the expense and time.

Some magazines and book publishers may still require 4 x 5 transparencies which would require a professional unless you have a 4 x 5 camera, but I think that is very rare.

Marcia

I agree Marcia, for smaller wares a cube is a must. Even for larger stuff one needs to have a seamless background and diffusers for the lamps. These basic items are really necessary even if you don't meed photos for competitions but want to sell on line. Unfortunately I have a mental illness I suffer from profound cheapness. This mental illness manifests itself whenever I need something. I'll start looking for what I need, and then when I see what I want and start to buy it the stark realization hits me that I can probably make it for much less. I can see the disapproval in the faces of my friends and family, I know they are thinking that the effort is not worth the savings but with me it's the game, not necessarily the outcome. Anyway, I've made my own cube out of bedsheets and some heavy wire. I make my own seamless backgrounds out of cloth I find in the junk bins of discount fabric stores: I get strange looks from the ladies. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction to know that I actually made it for less: it's a darn good thing I don't have to pay for my time. My name is Charles and I am an addict :)

I appreciate your cheapness as I am the cheapest person my husband has ever known. Decent pics can be had using lights and a gray tone photo paper with the right shading.

I have used a roll of photo paper ( thunder gray) outside with indirect lighting. Very decent results. North side of house...in Montana.

Marcia

Archived