Restoring Old Glaze. Can It Be Done?

hershey8

What can be done to restore old glaze? I've added water, mixed it up, and it still cracks when applied to bisque. Sorry for being redundant on posts, but it seem like this one needed it's own title. It's not just about "glaze cracking" on bisque. It's about "old glaze cracking", shortly after being applied to bisque. Does aging in the jar affect glaze in some way that makes it unusable? It seems like the only thing that would evaporate would be the water. But does something happen chemically over time? What to do? ja

Some of the chemicals in glaze can react or change or crystalize over time. This effects the smoothness of the glaze. You might try adding some CMC or other binder to get the glaze to stick to the pot. If it is bad enough though, it still might flake off in the firing... then you would have a real mess.

Whatever you end up trying, be sure to fire a test tile with something under it before you try it on a pot.

Some of the chemicals in glaze can react or change or crystalize over time. This effects the smoothness of the glaze. You might try adding some CMC or other binder to get the glaze to stick to the pot. If it is bad enough though, it still might flake off in the firing... then you would have a real mess.

Whatever you end up trying, be sure to fire a test tile with something under it before you try it on a pot.

Thanks, Bob. I have some cmc. I'll give it a shot, though it might be less trouble just to toss this old glaze. I don't have a lot of it, but was trying to use what I have. ja

Archived