L&L Easy Fire kiln not turning on

Howdy - hoping someone might have some insight based on photos below. Fired my kiln a couple weeks ago, loaded it for a bisque on Saturday, then realized it's not turning on. No circuit was tripped and we are getting power from the outlet (used a multimeter to confirm). I ordered the appropriate transformer, just replaced it, and still no luck and nothing measuring from the multimeter. I keep the kiln up to date with fresh thermos, elements, relays, etc. Maybe it's the control board. Any thoughts???

Was hoping to have all these pieces ready for a market on Sunday, but alas...Thanks so much in advance!

IMG_4119 Small.jpeg

IMG_4120 Small.jpeg

IMG_4121 Small.jpeg

IMG_4123 Small.jpeg

IMG_4126 Small.jpeg

You have power at the wall, a new transformer, but no go. Have you measured voltage before and after the transformer? You should be getting line voltage at the primary side and 12V on each of the double-wound secondaries. If you are not getting line voltage to the transformer, check the in-line fuse inside the little black cap on the side of the control column, or possibly a bad on-off switch.

Thanks for the info!

I've double checked voltage readings:

• Wall - 240V
  • Transformer primary side - 240V
  • Transformer secondaries - ~15V (14.85V)

I'v also verified continuity of the fuse and that the on/off switch works. It seems like theres a 3V discrepancy between what I'm reading (15V) and what you noted (12V) at the transformer. I was getting the same ~15V readings with the old transformer as well.

I took another look at the PCB and components for anything that looked like shorts. Some of the pins behind the controller display and buzzer look a bit browned, so maybe that's the culprit..

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up question that @neilestrick can likely answer. Purchased the new control panel and it seems to have solved the issue (kiln turns on!). When I try to punch in the slow bisque program for ^04, it says that TC3 is FAIL. I only have 2 thermos in the kiln (it's an e23s). Is that normal? Is there a way that I should be programming the kiln so that error message doesn't come up?

I was using a custom program for bisque prior but can't find it online anywhere, so was going to resort to the preset programs....

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, hlipper said:

Follow up question that @neilestrick can likely answer. Purchased the new control panel and it seems to have solved the issue (kiln turns on!). When I try to punch in the slow bisque program for ^04, it says that TC3 is FAIL. I only have 2 thermos in the kiln (it's an e23s). Is that normal? Is there a way that I should be programming the kiln so that error message doesn't come up?

I was using a custom program for bisque prior but can't find it online anywhere, so was going to resort to the preset programs....

Thanks!!

https://hotkilns.com/support/pottery-kiln-knowledgebase/i-have-two-section-kilns-and-got-fail-tc-3-message