CRUSADER kiln terminal boards...

I need to replace the square terminal boards  in an old CRUSADER kiln . The original plates  (3 1/2" x 3 1/2 ") are made from a very thin (ca. 1/8 ") cement board like material . They have become very brittle and broke while changing the bolt-type connectors. What material could be used  to cut new ones?  Would 1/4 inch cement board be a possibility?

image.jpeg

@iffetorbay I would not use cement board. Those may be some sort of phenolic board, or given the age of the kiln they may even be asbestos board. Call Amaco, as they use a similar board material in the control boxes of their square top loading kilns and I believe they still sell it.

Cement board is not rated for temperature nor as an insulator. Incidentally it does not carry a formal fire rating as well as is found in fire rated wallboard. Fire rated wallboard depends on the dehydration of gypsum for its rating. High temperature electrically rated board these days is generally Mica Glass or Macor or machinable mica glass ceramics. Fairly expensive to buy and probably rated well beyond what was originally there. Careful, early high temp sheets  may contain asbestos.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Thank you very much for your detailed explanations @Bill Kielb.  All advice from you and from @neilestrick is greatly appreciated! I take this occasion to thank all members that share on this forum their technical knowledge generously. I read them even if I do not have the related problems necessarily ... Take care  and keep us informed as always! 

Continuing my questions...

L&L Kilns  apparently use connection boards with bolt connectors (See https://www.theceramicshop.com/product/4785/element-connection-board-ll/ and https://hotkilns.com/kiln-parts/element-board-material-1-14-x-24-x-18 ) on its older models kilns. 

In the newer models high temperature porcelain terminal plates are used with bolt connectors (see attached image).

All these pieces are available as parts.  I would like to know your opinions @neilestrick and @Bill Kielb, about using these parts in place of Crusader's originals, with some necessary adapting... ( I am also inquiring Amaco parts as suggested above by @neilestrick). Many many thanks for your help!

IMG_2073.jpeg

Posted (edited)

@neilestrick, thank you for your remarks.  Did you have on mind the porcelain terminal plates? Indeed they may be difficult to use...and I have to check the distances of element grooves. In my question above I had also wondered about the following part which might be more easily fitted  https://hotkilns.com/kiln-parts/element-board-material-1-14-x-24-x-18, What would you think of that piece ?

Edited by iffetorbay