Porcelain mass with silicon carbide fired in oxidation atmosphere

Heyy I‘m pretty new in ceramics and recently found out that you could add Silicon Carbide to certain glazes to mimic a reduction firing atmosphere.  I used this to make a fake celadon glaze with iron oxide. This made me wonder if you could use this with porcelain to get the kind of porcelain that has a greyish blue hue, that you can only get when fired in a reduction atmosphere. I was just wondering, and I know that this is possibly a bad idea, as silicon carbide can also lead to pinholes or more…

But I‘m still intrigued, if anyone has tried something like this please let me know!

Thanks and have a great day!

Greetings from Austria!👋 

A few refs on how local reduction in glazes seems to work. I'm inclined to feel that the mechanisms don't apply to local reduction of (most?) bodies. 

I suspect that silicon carbide needs to be in really intimate contact with whatever it's reducing. Usually this seams to mean in contact with the liquid glaze.

BTW the mesh-size of the silicon carbide can also affect the results. In general pottery suppliers usually sell a coarse mesh.

An interesting paper on copper reds, which covers a wide range of local reduction issues.
https://tomturnerporcelain.glazy.org/downloads/CopperRed_35DE.pdf

On 5/31/2024 at 12:11 AM, PeterH said:

A few refs on how local reduction in glazes seems to work. I'm inclined to feel that the mechanisms don't apply to local reduction of (most?) bodies. 

I suspect that silicon carbide needs to be in really intimate contact with whatever it's reducing. Usually this seams to mean in contact with the liquid glaze.

BTW the mesh-size of the silicon carbide can also affect the results. In general pottery suppliers usually sell a coarse mesh.

An interesting paper on copper reds, which covers a wide range of local reduction issues.
https://tomturnerporcelain.glazy.org/downloads/CopperRed_35DE.pdf

Yeahh regarding the coarsnes of the Silicon carbide, i had to grind it down for some time, until I was happy! Will do some tryouts with that too! Thank you for the paper! I will definitely look into that!

Best regards!

I wonder if it would be easier to slurry mix some stain with porcelain to get the colour. You would probably loose a bit of translucency but it might be worth a test.

I'd second adding a little stain instead. Much easier and no off gassing to worry about

I'd also suggest asking yourself why it is so important to mimic reduction fired porcelain? It is something I chased for years, when I finally gave up and decided to focus on making a better oxidation porcelain I found something I'm really happy with.  An imitation will always be just that, you'll always be looking past the good pots in front of you because they aren't something else.