Slab Roller Size

Hi all,

Aside from the fact that it would take up more space in the studio are there any downsides to a larger slab roller? I was planning on getting a Bailey DRD/II 24G w/ the 51" table, but my studio could also fit the 30G w/ 69" table. I don't plan on making 30" wide slabs at the moment, but if I decided I wanted to in the future I would probably regret not spending the extra  couple of hundred bucks. Anyone have any recommendations with which size to go for (width and table length)?

Thanks!

Edited by HenryBurlingame

It would depend on what you plan to use it for.   I have a old 28" Bailey,  I  bought the main unit new and got the plans to build the table from  Bailey,  I recently had Formica put on the table top.   I use it mostly for tiles,  I  make a lot of tiles,   I flip the tiles onto sheet rock and lay newspaper between the clay and sheet rock.  The moisture from the clay can ruin the surface of the rock.  I dry several layers stacked together.   The largest sheet rock stacks I can handle are 30x36,  I use about 60 inches of table and have a foot left over at the open end ,  my table is 72 inches long.  My table is 25 years old looks good and works great.

If you have the space then go big with the roller, but a 6 foot table is really big and takes up a lot of room. I have a 30" that I picked up used for cheap and I really like it, but the 6' table was much too large for my space so I cut it down by about a foot and it still functions very well. The huge outfeed and small infeed on the 69 inch don't really make a lot of sense unless you want to use the outfeed side as a work space. That said, my shorter table still functions very well as a working surface- I do all my cutting there after rolling the slab.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Neil, that is very helpful information! I was thinking the larger table (outfeed side) would be nice as extra work space when I was not rolling slabs (or when I am cutting after etc.). The video on the bailey website (which is of the 30" with larger table) didn't make it seem like it was too crazy big, but I will take some more measurements in the studio and see what I think I can do... there are some windows, awkward electrical outlet placements, etc. that may throw a wrench in my plans. It is a fresh studio so I have a lot of wiggle room since no equipment has a permanent home yet aside from the glazing table and cabinet along one wall. I would definitely have the space if I decided putting the electric kiln right under the indoor part of my mini split was OK, but not sure I want AC blowing directly on the kiln lol.

Well I did a bunch of measurements today and I don't think the width makes a difference in my studio plan, so the 30" wide table would be fine (44" with handle etc.). As far as table length goes, the shorter 51" table would give me more options as far as shelf placement (and maybe a cink placement in the future if I feel the need). So I think I am going to go with 30" wide, but still have to think about the length...

Posted (edited)

Well I did my best trying to get a sense for the size of the different tables by watching various videos, and the 51" just seems too small (nearly a foot shorter than your cut down table Neil (if you cut a 72" down to 60")). Barely longer than 4ft total length and the working area is nearly half blocked by the large wheel. The 69" looks a lot more comfortable, so I ended up ordering a 30" wide with 69" table. Thanks for the help everyone, the studio is coming along nicely!