Cone 10 Cobalt Blue w/o Soda Firing

I am hoping to model some of Shimaoka's work, particularly his jomon pots in cobalt blue. The brilliance of the cobalt is wonderful and the rope inlays are human. I cannot soda fire because my kiln is a converted soft brick kiln, but I regularly fire cone 10 reduction with ease. Is there any way to mimic these surfaces? I have experimented with little success. I primarily use a local iron rich stoneware as my body and keep my glazes simple, all under 5 ingredients. It is an idyllic way of approaching glaze, I admit, but the materials' integrity gets lost in complex recipes (to me).  I have also seen some interesting results with thickly applied shino's that are regularly white with some blushing that utilize the addition of cobalt. Hopefully I can avoid this predicament in the future by building a salt kiln! thanks all.

Shimaoka.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Min said:

Which effect are you looking to get? Everything or rim and foot or ?

The entire pot is wonderful, but I am looking to recreate the the blue slip as a glaze instead of soda firing over colored slip.

23 hours ago, Min said:

So a breaking blue glaze over a white slip over an iron bearing stoneware body? Maybe with an ash type glaze on the foot and rim?

Yes. Currently I have an abundant supply of ash, n. syenite, grolleg, potash, cobalt carbonate, copper carb, r. iron oxide, local red and white clays, spodumene and alumina hydrate (you might be able to tell I have a particular fondness for shino's and ash glazes based on this list). I am willing to buy more materials as well, but I'd like the glaze to be pretty simple still. 

One to look at might be this one for the blue, using the pot spar and cobalt carb you have (increase the cobalt carb to approx 1.60) for the blue glaze, not many ingredients in it and it has a good history. I'ld give it a try with the grolleg you already have. I would also try it with an increase the red iron oxide to tone down the blue a bit and maybe 1 - 1 1/2% manganese dioxide if you have some. For the rim and foot I'ld start with a test of a simple 50:50 mix of your wood ash + your local red clay and see what it does. 

I agree with Mark, the pot you posted looks more like a salt fired pot rather than soda. 

Edited by Min