Never used Brent C, no noise in forward, noise but no spinning in reverse

I bought a new old stock Brent C, taken out of box, but never used, but it was not shipped very securely and got bounced around on the moving truck. I was told that before shipping, the seller tested it out and it was in perfect working order. Now, the green light comes on, but in forward, there is absolutely no noise, and no spinning. In reverse, there is a quiet noise from the motor - that is good, at least SOMETHING is happening! - but no spinning.

I can't decide if I should attempt to return it, or focus on troubleshooting and fixing it myself. The problem is, I can't really do a little bit of both - if I start disassembling / troubleshooting, I cannot possibly return it.

If anyone has any completely non-intrusive troubleshooting I can do that does not require so much as a screw driver, I will definitely give it a try, but I guess my real question for the community is as I said - should I try to return it since it arrived not working, or should I assume it is completely fixable and just start tinkering and trying to get it to work (with help from videos, and tech support, and wonderful communities like this one, etc.)

If it makes a difference, it is a Brent C that appears to have been manufactured in 2012, although it is perfectly clean and appears to have never been used (and indeed the seller said it has never been used).

Thanks for any input!