Porcelain for an archaeology experiment!

Hi there!

I'm an archaeologist planning to do some experiments using thick porcelain slabs (~1kg each) as a standardised proxy for flint in Stone Age tool production. I was wondering whether there are any potters on this forum interested in taking this on as a commission? I am hoping to have around 150 of these slabs ready by the end of the next summer. I'm based in Cambridge, but open to collaborations further afield! I have detailed instructions from people who have done the same thing, which I can send over If people are interested.

Many thanks,

Finn

Screenshot2024-01-29083600.png.e8cdcead862ada8d441c09840ed8e4e1.png

Finn,

As an archaeology professor who does lots of experimental work , I am curious to know more about your project.  What are you planning to do? 

I would be happy to try to produce the pieces for you, but shipping to the UK would be prohibitive. 

An old knapper friend of mine delivered concrete to the Coors (yes the beer company) plant.  I guess during prohibition the company started producing specialized ceramics.  He would go through the massive waster piles and get some interesting knapable pieces.  Worked like a slightly grainy chert.  Only real problem was it would produce a very loud ring when flaked that would require hearing protection.  I am not sure if standard cone-10 porcelain would have the same density as the stuff Coors makes.  .

17 hours ago, fergusonjeff said:

Finn,

As an archaeology professor who does lots of experimental work , I am curious to know more about your project.  What are you planning to do? 

I would be happy to try to produce the pieces for you, but shipping to the UK would be prohibitive. 

An old knapper friend of mine delivered concrete to the Coors (yes the beer company) plant.  I guess during prohibition the company started producing specialized ceramics.  He would go through the massive waster piles and get some interesting knapable pieces.  Worked like a slightly grainy chert.  Only real problem was it would produce a very loud ring when flaked that would require hearing protection.  I am not sure if standard cone-10 porcelain would have the same density as the stuff Coors makes.  .

I'm testing how certain factors effect variation in handaxe form (particularly percussor technology) for a PhD project - I'll be using some flint too, but the porcelain would be handy for standardisation. Thanks for the offer, but you're probably right about shipping costs!

Wow, sounds like an interesting material! I've been desperately searching for a mass-produced material to use for this experiment, but no luck so far.