floor mounted Envirovent 2?

Hi! I'm upgrading the vent system on my kiln and got an Envirovent 2.  It is meant to be installed with the motor mounted to the wall, at the end of the ducts. I don't think I can do this because my kiln is in a basement.  I need to get good and high to vent out between the joists that sit on big old stone walls.  I don't think it will work to mount the vent way up between the joists.
The manual says you can mount the motor on the floor and then use more ducts to direct the exhaust outside, but that it will no longer act as a negative pressure system. Has anyone done this or something like it?  It just isn't going to work as well?  My current old vent has the motor positioned underneath the kiln and has worked ok, though not perfectly.
Thank you!

1 hour ago, Arimajol said:

The manual says you can mount the motor on the floor and then use more ducts to direct the exhaust outside, but that it will no longer act as a negative pressure system. Has anyone done this or something like it?  It just isn't going to work as well?  My current old vent has the motor positioned underneath the kiln and has worked ok, though not perfectly.

You can mount it on the wall but the duct that goes between the vent and outside needs to be done well and free of leaks. This duct will be pressurized slightly which. Is ok but then requires effort  to be sealed well against any small leaks. The preferred design for exhaust is to suck air through all the ducts so air can only leak in however this is not always possible so the discharge duct must be sealed well so it doesn’t leak. And to answer your question I have dealt with both designs in real life and have an old (bad)  pressure retrofit video here https://youtu.be/etpa2Pc9Hug?feature=shared that is sort of a hybrid system using off the shelf stuff and smart design.

The hard part will be mounting this and attaching a discharge duct neatly. An angle bracket bolted to the wall could allow you to mount this to the wall but 90 degrees rotated.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Yes, just set it on the floor and it'll work fine as long as your vent duct doesn't have any holes in it. Inspect it a couple times a year. There's nothing difficult about this, just tape your duct joints and use hose clamps and it'll work just fine. It's designed to be simple.

Thank you for the responses!

15 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

You can mount it on the wall but the duct that goes between the vent and outside needs to be done well and free of leaks. This duct will be pressurized slightly which. Is ok but then requires effort  to be sealed well against any small leaks. The preferred design for exhaust is to suck air through all the ducts so air can only leak in however this is not always possible so the discharge duct must be sealed well so it doesn’t leak. And to answer your question I have dealt with both designs in real life and have an old (bad)  pressure retrofit video here https://youtu.be/etpa2Pc9Hug?feature=shared that is sort of a hybrid system using off the shelf stuff and smart design.

The hard part will be mounting this and attaching a discharge duct neatly. An angle bracket bolted to the wall could allow you to mount this to the wall but 90 degrees rotated.

I like the angle bracket mounting idea. 

1 hour ago, Arimajol said:

like the angle bracket mounting idea. 

Me too, rattling around on the floor, not the greatest and mounted you can use regular steel dryer duct and fittings so easy to make leak free. It certainly can go on the floor though didn’t mean to imply it had to be mounted.

2 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Me too, rattling around on the floor, not the greatest and mounted you can use regular steel dryer duct and fittings so easy to make leak free. It certainly can go on the floor though didn’t mean to imply it had to be mounted.

My house was built in 1890, with stone basement walls, so it would be messy but can be done.   Maybe I can figure out a way to mount to the joists up above.  Hmmmm, got me thinking now.   Maybe attach the motor to a piece of 3/4 plywood and screw into the joists.