Hello! I was wondering if anyone ever had any problems with Mayco Alabaster. I have noticed that whenever I have used it on my functional wear like mugs, they seep in the water test. I usually test my mugs by keeping a tissue underneath a cup filled with water. Rest of the mugs from the same batch, same clay, but different glaze were fine. But this one made the tissue moist underneath. Same happened with a small plate. I have attached a picture of that mug. 
the clay I used is Tuckers Speckled white Stoneware cone 6.

b311854a-740f-4155-ae08-13f9c27a3491.jpeg

Claybodies should be vitrified enough to not weep / leak even with no glaze on them when used for functional work and fired to mid or highfire.

Is this the clay you used? https://tuckers-pottery-supplies-inc.shoplightspeed.com/mid-smooth-stone-speck-clay-cone-6-stoneware-ecom.html

If that is the clay then in theory the clay should be vitrified enough to not leak with a posted absorption figure of 1.0 % but published figures can vary by +/- 1%. I would suggest running your own absorption tests. This is a good idea to to when using a new clay or every once in a while on an existing clay as materials can change.

How to on testing for absorption here if you need it, about 2/3 the way down the page, I would suggest doing the weight calculation test with several samples placed in different areas of the kiln. 

Edited by Min

That is strange, because it’s the clay body that’s usually the determining factor if a pot leaks. I say usually because it’s possible with a perfectly fitting glaze to have a porous body that doesn’t leak (for a while, anyway). Are you sure you’re getting to cone 6? Some bodies show a significant difference between c5 and c6. 

As @Min says, the sure way to rule out the clay is to test it for absorption. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2024 at 7:54 PM, Min said:

Claybodies should be vitrified enough to not weep / leak even with no glaze on them when used for functional work and fired to mid or highfire.

Is this the clay you used? https://tuckers-pottery-supplies-inc.shoplightspeed.com/mid-smooth-stone-speck-clay-cone-6-stoneware-ecom.html

If that is the clay then in theory the clay should be vitrified enough to not leak with a posted absorption figure of 1.0 % but published figures can vary by +/- 1%. I would suggest running your own absorption tests. This is a good idea to to when using a new clay or every once in a while on an existing clay as materials can change.

How to on testing for absorption here if you need it, about 2/3 the way down the page, I would suggest doing the weight calculation test with several samples placed in different areas of the kiln. 

Thank you for your reply. Yes that’s the clay I am using. I will definitely run my own tests for this one.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:06 PM, Kelly in AK said:

That is strange, because it’s the clay body that’s usually the determining factor if a pot leaks. I say usually because it’s possible with a perfectly fitting glaze to have a porous body that doesn’t leak (for a while, anyway). Are you sure you’re getting to cone 6? Some bodies show a significant difference between c5 and c6. 

As @Min says, the sure way to rule out the clay is to test it for absorption. 

I used the cones and they bent as per the temperatures. But I am going to run few tests and also maybe aad a new program because I am also having issues with pinholes lately. Thank you!