Glaze Mixing Newbie

Annie B

Until recently I have bought pre-mixed glazes. I would like to start mixing some basic lowfire glazes. Any suggestions on some reliable recipes? Also any suggestions on equipment that needed in mixing your own glaze.

First item of equipment should be a good, quality respirator -- you do not want to breathe in silica dust and particles. The rating should be for particles less than .05 PEL (permissible exposure level). The respirator should be adjustable, comfortable, and have replaceable filters. Check out a pottery supply shop like Bailey Pottery to get specs and then comparison shop. http://www.baileypottery.com/safetyequip/dustprotection.htm This is an investment for the rest of your life (and one your lungs will depend on), so don't buy cheap in order to save a few dollars.

You will need glaze buckets -- 2 gallon, 5 gallon, with tops. Have a couple of extras -- you need two to mix one bucket (sieve from one to another). A good scale is necessary for measuring -- many potters use a triple balance scale (2610 gram), some electronic scales are now sensitive enough -- must be able to measure at one-tenth of a gram -- and are an alternative to the traditional triple balance scale. You will need scoopers -- for oxides, I'd suggest a small scooper/pail shovel for each jar/bucket of oxide in order to reduce cross-contamination.

You will need sieves -- 60 mesh, 80 mesh and 100 mesh, as well as a spatula/rubber scraper and a dish scrubbing brush to help move the wet glaze mixture through the sieves. Some folks like to use a hydrometer to help measure the thickness of the glaze. Some glaze books give the specific gravity levels for a glazes; others do not. I use a squirrel mixer (from Home Depot paint department) and paint mixers from Wal-Mart in an electric drill to mix glazes -- if possible, a variable speed drill gives you more flexibility and control.

Do not forget labels -- both the side of the bucket and the bucket top. I use a toilet bowl brush in each glaze bucket for stirring. Again, a brush per bucket eliminates cross contamination.

You will also need containers for storing raw minerals and materials. Use a bucket or jar with easy open tops.

Linda Arbuckle has a number of downloadable low-fire glaze recipe handouts on her web site. That would be a good starting point.

The previous advice was good. Look for triple beam balance scales at LabX.com. Used medical supplies. I got a whole set of sieves at a recycling center in Billings, Mt. They are brass.

10" diameter. I have others I purchased a long time ago. I got my Ohaus triple beam scale in 1971. I still use it. It is.39 years old.

You didn't mention the temperature of your glazes. When you begin, try to stay with 5-10 basic chemicals shared with the recipes. There are good recipes that use wood ash, silica, whiting, feldspars...note whether they are potash or soda ash... kaolin, ball clay, talc, etc. Colorants can get expensive quickly, so plan what you intend to be glazing.

Marcia

You DID mention the temperature in the title. Sorry.

Make sure that you have the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for the materials you are using. Read the MSDS, follow recommendations and safety instructions and keep the MSDS in a binder for ready access so that you or anyone else using the materials has access to the MSDS. Many of the materials used in glazes are toxic, some are carcinogenic, some are poisons and some are even radioactive. Know what you are using and use the appropriate safety measures. Ceramics is a great hobby or vocation but it has potential pitfalls and dangers. Take the adice of an oldtimer and a cancer survivor, have fun but don't put your health at risk: second chances are hard to come by!

Best regarads,

Charles

Whaoooooo--

I agree with the respirator and the scale- you can get a digital gram one for about $100. There is another way to approach this. Get some big yogurt containers. You don't need to mix more than 300 grams of something to text it on a few different pieces, over some glazes, alone, under others, brushed, dipped, and squirted. Play.

THEN you can get some bigger containers if you like it. You could also skip the scale. You could find some recipes that are "parts". Like 2 parts flux, one part clay, one part flint and a pinch of cobalt, or whatever.... it doesn't HAVE to be exact if you don't mind inconsistency. Most important is don't be afraid to make mistakes, keep good notes. Doing it "wrong" might be the surface you love.

k

Whaoooooo--

I agree with the respirator and the scale- you can get a digital gram one for about $100. There is another way to approach this. Get some big yogurt containers. You don't need to mix more than 300 grams of something to text it on a few different pieces, over some glazes, alone, under others, brushed, dipped, and squirted. Play.

THEN you can get some bigger containers if you like it. You could also skip the scale. You could find some recipes that are "parts". Like 2 parts flux, one part clay, one part flint and a pinch of cobalt, or whatever.... it doesn't HAVE to be exact if you don't mind inconsistency. Most important is don't be afraid to make mistakes, keep good notes. Doing it "wrong" might be the surface you love.

k

Keeping good notes is excellent advice. Keep good notes on everything you do including very careful measurements of wieghts or percentages and the firing process. The reason you want to keep good notes is not necessarily being obsessive compulsive as I've been accused of many times but b ecause you ae dealing with a process hat has a lot of variables. It is extremely improtant to make sure that you quantify your vairables so that you know what you may have changed and the results it caused. Sometime very subtle changes in your process can result in exceptional results.

Best regards,

Charles

Archived