magma/lava glazes

s6x

I've started experimenting with magma graces to create a faux volcanic surface.  I'm using Mayco's dark magma glaze.  results have been nice, but a bit too uniform and not as wild as some of the stuff I see online.  If anyone has extensive experience with this technique I'd love to hear your recommendations.   Have you tried mixing magma glazes?  layering glazes?  reglazing over and over, firing multiple times?  

Changing the mesh size of the silicon carbide apparently influences the appearance.

lava+test+tiles+2.jpg?format=1000w

PS I suspect that refiring can only smooth/collapse/consolidate previously fired lava glazes, as all their fizz was expended in their first firing.

As the top half of the cylinders indicate thicker application of the glaze increases the foaming -- especially for finer grades of SiC.

Edited by PeterH

Just to point out that there has been some uncertainty over the amount of SiC in some recipes 0.34% or 3.4% .

... BTW Akiko’s Crater is another lava glaze in glazy.org

PS In case you were wondering, some of the literature on SiC-reduced copper reds suggests that SiC outgasses when the glaze it is in contact with melts, rather than at a specific temperature.

Edited by PeterH