Black thermocouple flaking on NEW ones...

Morgan

I know this issue has been discussed a lot/before, and am totally used to this happening on older thermocouples but I am not sure I have ever seen so much flaking on brand new TCs on its first few firings. 

I did run these with empty kiln as suggested but I cannot believe how much of the flakes are getting into my glazes with so few firings under their belts. 

FWIW these are the cheapo type k and I do have the open type protection tubes.

Edited by Morgan

Sorry should have clarified...The tubes are the open ended ones, maybe they are not considered "protection tubes"? Somehow they are getting into the air of the kiln and landing on the pots. I know it is from that, as the ones closer to the thermocouples have more flakes that end up showing up in the final glaze. 

Edited by Morgan

I’d say they are fairly close to the end of the tube but certainly not even with it…when you put a finger on it you can feel the tip of the TC if you pressed it if that makes sense.

These were replacements direct from l&l sales rep (who I also contacted and he verified the parts ).

I also vacuum the kiln and tubes every firing or so.

Edited by Morgan

Ok, cheers, thanks as always Neil!

And I shouldn’t worry about the flaking/dust so early (under 5 firings). Still seems odd they would show corrosion that quick but maybe it’s always been that way I just wasn’t paying attention.

Edited by Morgan