Hi! I'm new here :-) And I just bought an old kiln!

Naaie

So I was pretty exited about it until I started really looking at it ... once in my garage.

The elements were totally cooked and bulging. Luckily, I was given new elements with the kiln.

The kiln sitter rod is completely toasted and bent...so I ordered a new one. 

While removing the elements, I chipped a few pieces of brick here and there, so I think the elements were never changed....

So now I've got all the parts and I am ready to put it back together but I have a final question : Should I test it before closing the front part of the kiln to make sure all the wiring works? 

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks! :-)

P.S.: I am hooked! Love making pottery!

Testing with the panel open can be dangerous, depending on the kiln model. If it's a digital kiln with a hinged control box, you can generally do a live test with a meter fairly safely. For manual kilns it can be a lot more difficult (dangerous). The safest ways to test are:

1. Turn it on high, let it run a few minutes, then carefully crack the lid and see if all the elements glow.

2. Put a small piece of paper on each element, run it for a couple of minutes, turn off the kiln and check if all the pieces of paper have burned.